Just flicked thru the channels

macky1

was just flicking thru the channels on sky

and i saw the marlin world cup on channel "player"

as i flicked it over the 1st thing i saw was keith aurther dragging abored a 250lb hammerhead shark

a guy then proceded to club it over the head in full veiw of the camera...

later on they showed it strung up on the harbour with blood pouring out of its head

yea this happens but am i wrong in thinking it shouldnt be shown on TV

as it is giving the anti's even more ammo?

and its a shame to see such a fish been killed just for a comp.

mack

Edited by macky1

I agree 100% theres absolutely nothing to be gained from killing the fish, tag and release is the way forward. There are enough accurate weight estimation methods nowadays, theres no need to haul the thing back to shore for a trophy photo and confirm its weight. Sickening to most anglers let alone the anti's.

Dont think it was the same program but ive just spent 2 hours watching shark programs on sky and really enjoyed it. The first 1 was excellent but one bit I wasnt so keen on was one they cut open the sharks skin to put a tag inside the body cavity. Not sure what I felt about that, but my initial thoughts are what right have we got to do that. I know we all kill fish etc and that could be viewed the same way but I just felt doing that to a shark was quite an intrusion.

The second program started with a piece about a shark longliner in the states. I was non to impressed wih that either.

I am 100% agreement with you Glennk, i refuse to put the new shark tags into a fish.

They look barbarick, the old ones with a small plastic barb were fine.

The new ones have a much larger piece of metal which has to be inserted into the shark.

Other colleages have told me that they have to cut the skin first with a knife before they can insert the tag.

So i will not do this until they change the tags.

the doctor was good enough to give me a bass taggin kit 2 years ago

but it requird you to cut the fish with a scalpal and insert a tag

i did this a few times but i felt it distressed the fish, maybe its me been a big sissy, but i didnt like to do it

but for a respected angler like keith aurther for him to be seen envolved in this bludgenin of a 250lb hammer head.......

well i have lost some respect for him anyway

maybe he will read this and put on his thoughts?