Digital SLRs

Peter Sharpe

Does anyone know of a digital SLR in the £500 price bracket that has a swivelling viewing screen? You might think that isn't the point with an SLR and that you might as well look through the viewfinder, but I need the added flexibility. I currently use a Nikon Coolpix 5700 which is okay if not exactly spectacular, but it does enable me to take shots with the camera pointing upwards from ground level (nothing pervy), or pressed against walls with me lining the shot up from the side. This can be very useful when photographing caravans or motorhomes, as you need to get as much of the interior in as possible. I have also taken crowd scenes at shows by holding the camera up at arm's length on a fully extended tripod, then putting it on a time release and lining the shot up by looking up at the viewing screen. None of the commonly mentioned SLRs seem to have this facility - or do they?

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Does anyone know of a digital SLR in the £500 price bracket that has a swivelling viewing screen? You might think that isn't the point with an SLR and that you might as well look through the viewfinder, but I need the added flexibility. I currently use a Nikon Coolpix 5700 which is okay if not exactly spectacular, but it does enable me to take shots with the camera pointing upwards from ground level (nothing pervy), or pressed against walls with me lining the shot up from the side. This can be very useful when photographing caravans or motorhomes, as you need to get as much of the interior in as possible. I have also taken crowd scenes at shows by holding the camera up at arm's length on a fully extended tripod, then putting it on a time release and lining the shot up by looking up at the viewing screen. None of the commonly mentioned SLRs seem to have this facility - or do they?

Hi,

haven't seen one.....

have a look at www.warehouseexpress.com and search for Zigview Digital Angle Finder.

Would that be of any help?

Len

Thanks, Ljk - an interesting product!

Peter, the Olympus E330 has a swivelling screen, but it may be out of your price bracket at £650. Also it doesn't swivel round completely to enable self-portraits, although this may not be important for you.

Lack of such a feature together with cost was why I went with a compact digital. Would it be feasible for you to have a compact, say a Canon with a wide angle adaptor, for the sort of shots you mentioned or do you need an even wider angle?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I would like better picture quality than with my 5mp Nikon and there aren't any other lenses available for it. I don't need one of those silly fish-eye type lenses, but I do need to be able to get as much of the foreground into the shot as possible.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.