Another "New and Advice Needed" Thread

Peloquin

Hi folks. Just found this forum. I'm just starting sea fishing and am heading out to Borth in Wales this weekend (actually between Borth and Aberystwyth).

Going midday on sat and coming back midday on Sun.

Can anyone give me some advice on where to fish etc...?

Pretty important we catch something with this being our first trip out but we're not really bothered what it is we catch.

Cheers folks.

Guest challenge
Hi folks. Just found this forum. I'm just starting sea fishing and am heading out to Borth in Wales this weekend (actually between Borth and Aberystwyth).

Going midday on sat and coming back midday on Sun.

Can anyone give me some advice on where to fish etc...?

Pretty important we catch something with this being our first trip out but we're not really bothered what it is we catch.

Cheers folks.

Hello peloquin. I am of know use to you whatsoever when it comes to fishing in that part of the world.

But I do whish you success and welcome you to the forum.

Hope you have a good time and would love to read your report, so please make one.

Regards

Absolutley nothing because I clcked on the button! As I was saying:

- Dont use hooks or bait that are too big- 1/0 hooks are generally big enough, and slivers of bait, not chunks

- Try a two hook rig (they can be bought pre made) for more fish.

- Worms seem to work well in the day, which is when most new people try (night is generally better)

- Have a go with a float- they are good fun, and maybe worth a try fishing off of the bottom.

- Dont try and cast for the horizon- you probably havent got a shockleader attached (if you ask what one is, you havent got one!), and you dont need to generally to catch fish.

I am sure someoen will come along with some more specific advice soon.

Tight lines

G

B.A.S.S. member

Hiya folks. Cheers for the welcome.

I've been course fishing for a while and always wanted to try sea fishing. Not over bothered about off a boat yet, more interested in beach and rocks.

I have a 12' Abu Beachcaster that a mate at work had spare. Got myself a reel and lines etc...

Yes, I have a shock leader and so far have knocked together a few rigs. Made a couple of 2 hook flappers and pennel rigs along with a couple of pulley rigs. These "seem" to be the ones that look easiest and most productive. I've been reading up on sea fishing for a while now so have the basics, just need to put them into practice now.

We are hoping to fish early evening onwards (about 6-10) on Sat at either Aberystwyth or up the road at Clarach Bay( Parent's caravan is there) then go over to Borth early hours Sunday morning (5 ish).

I'll let you know how we get on.

Grant, cheers for the advice mate.

I've made my rigs with a size 2 and 1/0 hooks on. Do these sound ok? I figured 2 different hook sizes meant different sized bait so hoping 2x the chance of catching each cast.

Sounds good mate, and given your background, my advice is probably teaching you to suck eggs.

Without knowing the marks, if its sandy, I would stick to worms for volumes of fish, and fish baits for the rockier areas.

Sandeels can be used in both I reckon, and pennels can be good for these.

If it is surfy, may be worth taking a light rod, and trying some spinning.

B.A.S.S. member

By "light" rod would a carp rod be ok?

Dunno about the sucking eggs bit mate. I know a tench, perch and roach. After that I dunno the make/model of anything I catch.

I'm DEF. not one of those who go out after a specific species. Anything will do.

I used to use cheap carp rods for spinning from rocky marks- as long as it can cast a 20g (or whatever you are using) lure, I am sure it will be fine.

Toby type lures are good all rounders, or yans.

B.A.S.S. member

Can't give you any up to date catch info for that area as it is a while since I fished there.

The Dovey estuary is an excellent venue, but better fished around low water (not sure of tides this weekend). To access drive straight through Borth to the end of the road (past sand dunes) there is a large stretch of sand flats park up at the top (usually a lot of other vehicles parked on the sand), walk straight out (provided the tide is outLOL!!!) towards the deeper channel and walk along the edge until you come to a few rocks on the edge of the channel. Fish here, you should expect bass and flounder, plenty of schoolies but we've had better fish to 4lb. Easy fishing in a great location, the flounders can be a good stamp as well (2lb). Peeler is important for the bass, but rag will catch too.

As for Borth and Ynas Las, the open beaches should produce the odd bass, turbot and the inevitable LSD's, and depending on casting distance the odd ray may be available. If fishing this area with light tackle I'd be more inclined to fish the rocky area at the start of the Borth road, there is a small headland/promintary before the long beach starts (just before the sand dunes). This area used to produce bass, pollock, mackerel (on float) and LSD's, with the odd strap conger after dusk. Crab, rag, worm and fish baits should all produce but crab is the primary bait.

Another alternative could be the beach in front of the holiday camp and Glan Y Mor, not sure of the directions but its sited in Clarach Bay. Doggie heaven after dark, with odd ones during the day with bass.

post-7597-1157024761_thumb.jpg

Clarach Bay - Glan Y Mor

Final venue would be Tan Y Bwlch at Aberystwyth, its a relatively steep shelving cobble beach at the south of the Harbour. Accessed from the road at the side of the Fire Station, drive down until you can go no further. You can fish right next to the south pier, or from it if you prefer, although I tended to fish in the middle stretch. Doggies, bull huss, wrasse, mackerel, whiting, rays and bass are all caught here, usual baits.

Hope this is of use, venue of choice depends on how long you are fishing and tide times/states.

Cheers

Doc.