Clapham Common Fishing

BoozleBear

I have heard you can fish Clapham Common pond in London for free and that they have carp upto over 20lbs.

I don't fancy going there for a night as I'm not keen on meeting tory MPs and muggers! But it could be fun for a free day sesh.

Have any of you lot fished there? Any tips? Is it worth bothering or is it too full of chavs?

Advice / comments would be helpful.

Simon

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

Looks as though things have changed a bit since I used to fish it as a kid in the 60s:

http://www.claphamangling.co.uk/new_page_18.htm

I also used to fish the ponds on Wandsworth and Tooting Bec commons, and I don't remember ever getting so much as a bite on any of them! The only place I ever used to catch was the lake in Crystal Palace Park (and that was usually suicidal small perch).

Be interested to hear how you get on. :)

I live about ten minutes away, and THINK the fishing is free and there are some large carp in the pool.

As far as it's "chavness"- well I live ten minutes away and I don't/won't fish it- take from that what you will.

Another clue is the bivvy tents, burger van and union jacks to be found down there.

On the other hand "clapham anglers association" fought very hard to keep fishing on the common (from what I hear) and that is to be commended,

I have fished wandsworth as well (60 SQUID FOR THE YEAR) , had double figure carp,roach and huge signals it's alsoa bit nicer than clapham

Edited by Moodyboy

Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes

Cheers fellas.

I may try it, not sure about the chavness though, not keen on keeping the company of morons!. I live in Archway so I should try Hamstead Heath again really I suppose. Only problem is that where you fish is other end of the place to where you get the premit - which is free anyway!!!

Boozle

Why not fish the Wandle if your coming down to SW

Where's that? Have you got a link and can you get there by car? Thinking of taking my son on Sat 16th Sept.

Could meet up if you like. Is it carp fishing?

Cheers,

Simon

Simon - Have a read of this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/fish/story/0,,1268814,00.html

You might catch a carp, but chub and dace (maybe even trout) are more likely.

CRIKEY! Somebody caught a 23lb perch and it didn't even get in the angling press!!! :blink::blink::lol:

"The fisherman's tales have started already. 'My mate saw a couple of salmon, just there, down under the bridge, about a month ago. Big ones too ... John here took a 20-pound carp with a bit of bread ... My son had a 23-pound perch there a while back ago with just some chopped worm. I've had a couple of lovely brown trout in the last week alone.' And there are rumours, lots of rumours now, of some nice rainbow trout, about a mile up: truly great fish."

Looks nice for a days angling.

I take it I'd be better with maggots and worms rather than boilies?

Ta

Simon

It's a chalk stream/small river that runs from Carshalton through Mitcham tooting earlsfield and Wandsworth (wandle hence WANDSworth) where it meets the Thames.

There are some large Carp around Merton Abbey/ Morden Hall which has good parking. The thing is you can't really target the carp ,they are a brucie bonus. it's more a chub, barbel-good roach water. It's fishing very well to maggot feeders at the moment and the barbel fall to large pellets. Sat aroung Merton can get V.busy. Earlsfield might be quieter. The mitchum stretch is extremely overgrown with weed and is slap bang in the middle of a large estate. The good thing about Earlsfield is your screened from the path, sometimes it's even possible to forget your in London, that is until the local gypos throw another scooter into river!!!

I could do a few hours on the 16th around earlsfield or merton if you fancy it. Let me know and I will give directions

This is a link to a pdf of the river

http://www.wandletrail.org/print_map.pdf#s...andle%20walk%22

Dan

Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes

Sounds like fun to me mate. I'll get some maggots in for the 16th then! Earlsfield sounds like the best bet from what you have said. And it would be nice to meet up.

Do I need a permit, or just my license?

Cheers,

Simon