Nightfishing

Rockling

Casting at night from the shore seems to be a dawdle with the new multipliers, brakes and all. Listen for the lead hitting the water and immediately stop the spool with your thumb, after some delicate thumbing through the cast. I used to use fixed spool exclusively for over nights but now use multipliers, any thoughts on this? What would seem to limit multiplier use is the caster's ability to use such a reel and the fear of a terrible fankle. I look at over runs versus unexplained and copious line spooling when I compare multipliers and fixed spools, rather than distance casting and ease of use. Multipliers also would have the advantage in that, with some reels, you can set the reel with the ratchet 'on' in freeline position and thus hear a take or a run, any fixed spools with such specs?. Just some thoughts on a fundamental fishing decision, which type of reel to use.

Just some thoughts on a fundamental fishing decision, which type of reel to use.

Unless you are after monster fish or need huge amounts of line, I'd say it's pretty much a matter of personal choice. Which is more fun to fish with, that is.

Obviously when you get into tackle for bigguns you have to go with a multiplier rather than an egg beater. (with no apology whatever to any who like the eggbeater - oops, fixed spool, style of reel. :) ).

I do mostly multipliers for all except the very lightest work but mostly because I like em better.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President