Pennington Flash

Gone Fishin

Has anyone fished this vast water??? Went yesterday. parked on the car park next to the golf club. The firsty problem I encountered was the 'pay and display' machine, it was locked up until 8:30 and as I'd got there for 6:45 this meant I would have to trapse back from my swim to avoid getting my car clamped and a hefty fine.

Next thing I noticed there was no signs anywhere, to tell me where to fish? so I decided to walk round the left side of the flash and look for a clearing where I could fish. After 35 minutes chopping through the woods with no sign of a decent place to fish I decided to chuck it and went to Partidge Lake Fisheries instead.

Something tells me the twitchers don't want people fishing on their water or did I go to the wrong part of the water?

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Cheers in advance, Gone Fishin

Yibbida Yibbida Folks

Ok where do I start...

On entering the car park go left and park down at the end of the park, near the road bridge where you came in over a little brook. Parking here is away from the main parking and I have never been ticketed... yet!

This Pennington brook is a good place for perch chub and roach from upstream of the main atherleigh way road bridge over the footbridge and to your left, down to the mouth of the brook over the footbridge and to your right, you can see the pegs laid out on the far bank.

Later in the year when the roach are a bite a chuck you can't buy a peg here from early morning!

If you drive back over the bridge towards the exit there is another car park Pay 'n display again on the right before the exit. This leads onto paths around the Flash to your left, on the same side as the sailing club, where some fish for pike.

If you know the area, you may be better going to plank lane lift bridge between Lowton and Leigh on the canal, there is a large park 30yds down the road from here which leads to your left onto the canal, and to your right through the paths to the side of the Flash.

This brings you out opposite the sailing club on a reclaimed slag heap known as Ramsdale's ruck much further round from the visitor centre and golf club.

Here there are several swims where you can chuck a heavy lead or feeder to the horizon, I'm told the bream are good.

Be advised the Pennington brook area is day ticket on Leigh anglers card and subject to river seasons, and no lures/spinners, are allowed.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates