another anchor trolly newbie (tarpon 14)

fishtr8

I know that there is a lot of information on here already re:anchor trolleys, and I have read the excellent article on anglersafloat.com. However I am still very reluctant to drill any holes in my beloved kayak (Tarpon 140) as I am crap (VERY) at all things DIY!!

I am therefore keen to find out if anyone knows:

1)a way of locking the anchor line in place without drilling holes etc.

and/or

2)a way of locking the anchor trolley line in place without drilling holes etc.

and/or

3)if both of these functions are absolutely necessary to anchor safely and successfully.

Either way, if anyone has any photos of their Tarpon anchor trolley systems in place available then they would very much be appreciated. (Alternatively if anyone is local to Exeter and they have this system on a Tarpon that they would be willing to show me then this would really be great!)

Thanks.

Edited by fishtr8

tr8

Tarpon 140

I fitted a trolley system to the P13 last year but now never use it at all. I find that 90% of the time, for my type of fishing, anchoring off the stern is ideal. I have fitted a conventional lazy line, about 8’ long, clipped off on the rear carrying toggle.

The anchor reel is loaded with 100yds of 3mm paracord . This whole reel can be buoyed off at the end of the lazy line. If I need to clip off quick and run with a fish I lean back and release the karabiner. You can then pick up the buoy on your return.

There's no drilling required. The same can be done from the bow if you want. It’s just a modification on what I used to use on my boat .

The only pitfall with this system is retreival, I often fish depths of up to 250ft. It's a long haul on the way back up.... :(

I am sure there are pictures on an earlier thread of this system. If you need more info give me a shout and I will post a few pictures.

Neil.

Neil,

Thanks for the super fast reply!!

I am really sorry though as I don't know what you mean by a lazy line and cannot understand:

1)how you reach the rear carrying handle (as I can not get anywhere near mine when sitting in my kayak)

2)how you bouy off your reel line in this steup.

So i suppose the answer is yes to some pictures please!!

Sorry for my naivity!

Cheers again,

fishtr8.

Edited by fishtr8

tr8

Tarpon 140

Neil,

Thanks for the super fast reply!!

I am really sorry though as I don't know what you mean by a lazy line and cannot understand:

1)how you reach the rear carrying handle (as I can not get anywhere near mine when sitting in my kayak)

2)how you bouy off your reel line in this steup.

So i suppose the answer is yes to some pictures please!!

Sorry for my naivity!

Cheers again,

fishtr8.

No problem, I will post some pics tomorrow. I appreciate the Tarpon rear carry handle is a bit further back than the P13, but I think it could still be fed through the carry loop and tied off behind the seat.

Will post some pics as soon as I can.

Neil.

A quick sketch that I done that might help you a bit.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/salinitysam/anchor.jpg

There's loads of variations and options available. Some people keep the Lazy line attached to the boat all the time and clip off the anchor cord coil with a half hitch. This saves you having a locking cleat fixed to the boat. If you have a permanently attached lazy line you will also need to put a small buoy onto the anchor reel as well .

Neil.

Fishtr8 - don't worry, we are not all 6' 4" giants with arms like an Orang Utang so we can reach the toggle!

I have seen both Neil and Richi leaning back further than my back will bend - I can't bend that far, full stop!

In answer to your question about a lazy line - modify the system and rig a length of cordage, 8mm - 10mm would be better for this bit to prevent chaffing. Tie one end to the toggle (or clip it) the other end tie off somewhere convenient close to you. This line can act as a fairlead for the anchorline - you drop your anchor THROUGH the loop formed by this line in the gap between it and the hull of the kayak. Then the anchor line will drag to the stern by the toggle as it leads away from the kayak. You still have the anchor line winder in your possession somewhere and just tie it off beside you - the pull is from where the line leads off the back of the kayak beside the toggle, where it has lodged between kayak and the line you ties before you went out - that is all an anvhor haul is, only the where the anchor line gets caught up is a carabiner that can be dragged back to your seat.

Another option is to use the deckline mounts - Does the 140 have deck lines? I can't remember! They are fed through fittings - you can use the holes in these fittings to mount a short piece of bungy and pulley block to make your anchor haul if you don't want to drill holes.

Edited by Simon Everett

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Thanks again for the replies they are really helping me to get a better picture of this anchor malarkey!

I had a closer look at my kayak today and some of the pictures of setups on the net. Please correct me if I am wrong but can I not just set up an "anchor line" from the bow to the stern of my kayak by tying it off/clipping it the carrying handles at bow and stern. I could then drop my anchor's "rope" through a caribener on this "anchor line", allow the clip to run to the back of my kayak before tying my anchor's rope off on the cleat on the side of my kayak once the anchor is at the correct depth etc. This would allow me to not drill any holes (!!).

Am i being simplistic and missing a major flaw in this idea?

Thanks again, fishtr8

PS: Simon, your explanation seems good to me (again largely due to no mention of drilling holes) but I am still a little confused as to retrieving the anchor's rope (quote: lodged between kayak and the line you ties before you went out - that is all an anvhor haul is, only the where the anchor line gets caught up is a carabiner that can be dragged back to your seat). Sorry!!

tr8

Tarpon 140

I rigged up an anchor trolley on my P13 and didn't drill a single hole, I used the fittings already in place.

I made up the usual loop of cord, with a short elasticated section, running through pulleys at each end with snap links to attach the pulleys to the yak. At the bow I clipped it to the exising pad eye. At the stern I used the rudder fitting. I replaced the plastic 'dummy' bolt with a proper one and used it to mount a small D-ring that came from an old walking boot. I removed the deckline and the runners and used the bolts to fit plastic clips to hold the line in place. The clips were 15mm C type that hold pipes in place, that I cut in half and fitted so they like an inverted J. I dont use a cleat, I just use the paddle retainer bungee to lock it place.

Works a treat and I can restore it back to original anytime I want :)

This thread has some pics of the setup:

anchor trolley

Edited by spanner