Advice Request - River Wharfe Barbel at Wetherby

steve-law

Am fishing the Wharfe next week at Wetherby, you hear lots of stories about what to use and where to fish but I wondered if anyone out there had some relevant advice about bait, Tackle, Method and location as I will only have I Day and do not wish to spend most of it realising I am in the wrong place or doing it wrong. Any suggestions :wallbash::help:

Am fishing the Wharfe next week at Wetherby, you hear lots of stories about what to use and where to fish but I wondered if anyone out there had some relevant advice about bait, Tackle, Method and location as I will only have I Day and do not wish to spend most of it realising I am in the wrong place or doing it wrong. Any suggestions :wallbash::help:

Hi steve. What part are you fishing? Is it the day ticket length above the weir or a guest ticket on the Wetherby AA stretch? I haven't had much luck with the barbel on the day ticket length, but plenty of decent chub and perch.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Hi steve. What part are you fishing?

Hi Gozza, I will be fishing below the wier as I have joined the club 2 years ago but not been able to fish much, Fished in June and never saw a fish, so do not wish to waste time again. Thinking of the bottom of the car park below the bridge but is there access behind the nick? :huh:

Hi steve. What part are you fishing?

Hi Gozza, I will be fishing below the wier as I have joined the club 2 years ago but not been able to fish much, Fished in June and never saw a fish, so do not wish to waste time again. Thinking of the bottom of the car park below the bridge but is there access behind the nick? :huh:

I'm not a member steve, but Wetherby used to do guest tickets and I fished down there a while ago, with a mate who was a member. The swims below the weir, along the carpark have all produced barbel I am told. It depends on the conditions, the one I particularly like is the one at the very end of the carpark. It forms an eddy, and I have seen barbel being caught there. If I were you, I would fish there and then work my way down past the A1 road bridge, trying various swims on the way. There are barbel type swims all the way down, with one or two that would provide steadier water if the Wharfe did its usual (for me anyway :( ) and rose during the day. I'm sorry I can't be more help, but I am just going on what I've seen and what members have told me. Bread, lobs, pellet, cheese and swimfeeder maggot and caster have all been successful. Good Luck mate.

John

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John