Slighty OT - Reverse Polarity

SpeciMan

No.

It will be taking a higher current running at the lower voltage so it will drain the battery quicker. A 7amp battery is 7amp/hrs regardless of voltage. The 12v battery will last longer running the pump at 12v than the 6v running at the pump at 6v as the higher voltage is a lower current and the 7amp/hrs will last longer.

Not correct in this instance. The current drawn will be lower when a 6v battery is used instead of a 12 battery, but is not a linear relationship between voltage and current as you might imagine and it's not true for all applications and all voltages. I can post a lengthy science club explanation if anyone is really interested but I'm sure noone's having that much trouble sleeping.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Working on bait tank number 2 at the moment.

For reference, bought a 6 volt 12amp hour battery and hooked it up to the RULE 360 pump yesterday. At 6volts it puts out about 60gallons per hour for over 9 and a half hours. :clap2: Only turned it off when I went to bed.

In comparison the 12 volt 7 amp battery was good for about 3 to 3.5 hours before the flow rate was significantly reduced. Running the pump at 12volts even with the wiring reversed is probably too much - the fish would get tired swimming against that. Despite a higher amp rating the 6 volt battery is a bit smaller and lighter.

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow