Returning to UK from NZ - Where 2 fish in Sussex

GlennNZ2UK

Hi All,

Returning home to the UK in December after being here in NZ for 3 years. I fish regularly here and nearly always bring something home for dinner ...

Have a double Viking kayak with two rod holders. Bit of effort paddling on my own, but its very stable and makes for a great fishing platform. Use two 6' rods, one with an egg-beater and the other with a small Shimano overhead reel.

Highlight back in January was catching a 84cm Kingfish using squid (they usually go for live bait). Great experience took 30 minutes to land and was pulling my double kayak and my mates single (were anchored together) all over the place. Fantastic eating and got 18 good sized steaks from it.

Mainly catch Snapper & Kawhai around the mid 30cm mark, both good eating.

Starting to warm up here and the Snapper are starting to spawn, so it should all kick off soon.

Mainly fish up to 1km from shore. Dont need to be that deep to catch keepers, anything over about 5 meters near rocks and weed beds works a treat.

Interested to hear from anyone in the Mid Sussex area who fish off the coast, and maybe some pointers on baits, techniques, locations etc. Also, what do you all typically catch ?

I know the fishing isnt up to NZ, but keen to keep fishing and see what the UK has to offer.

Look forward to hearing from you guys !

Cheers,

Glenn

There's a few of us just across the way in Hampshire that fish the south coast.

To see what we do and where look for posts by Darnsarf, Starvin, Richi, Speciman and me. All the above are 'looney tunes' about yak fishing, and out at every opportunity.

This year we've targetted Tope in Wales, Conger in Dorset, Bass just about everywhere and Mullet if you really like a challenge.

Personally I like going for something that scares me a bit and there's a few of us planning to go for Porgies next year :o

Oh and welcome.

Prowler 13 in MANGO.

Sweeeeet.....:)

Kaskazi Dorado

comes with swimming pool as standard

Welcome Glenn, I have loads of family in NZ. Your first problem is, if you catch anything, don't tell anyone on here that you ate it! They get upset, and you will get abuse, :blink: ( I must go and catch 50 whiting and eat them all) :o

2nd, the fishing here is usually very poor.

Doesn't stop me though. :thumbs:

Welcome Glenn, I have loads of family in NZ. Your first problem is, if you catch anything, don't tell anyone on here that you ate it! They get upset, and you will get abuse, :blink: ( I must go and catch 50 whiting and eat them all) :o

2nd, the fishing here is usually very poor.

Doesn't stop me though. :thumbs:

I'd like to see you eat a porgie :D

Prowler 13 in MANGO.

Sweeeeet.....:)

Kaskazi Dorado

comes with swimming pool as standard