trying to find winter roach in ireland !

mark_66

just wondering if theres any lads on the site that know of any rivers there that fish during the

winter months around the midlands or eastern ireland....i mainly fish the bann and the erne around belturbet but am at a bit of a loss after that....

someone told me that the river blackwater in kells fills up with fish from lough ramor...anyone know !!!

really looking for decent sized roach(aint we all) but there getting harder to find :)

also the river inny at finnea ,,,any one fished it lately !! appreciate any help guys :fishing:

just wondering if theres any lads on the site that know of any rivers there that fish during the

winter months around the midlands or eastern ireland....i mainly fish the bann and the erne around belturbet but am at a bit of a loss after that....

someone told me that the river blackwater in kells fills up with fish from lough ramor...anyone know !!!

really looking for decent sized roach(aint we all) but there getting harder to find :)

also the river inny at finnea ,,,any one fished it lately !! appreciate any help guys :fishing:

Fish the Bann alot, but in the winter, or once the winter levels come through, the Roach will make their way up the small feeder streams, into the canals, and any other quieter areas, away from the main flow. The canals are always cracking sport in the winter, with 70lb of Roach and Bream, a real possibility. Basically, on any system, there will be areas where they shoal up for the winter, and it can pay to go for a drive round, looking for these areas.

Fish the Bann alot, but in the winter, or once the winter levels come through, the Roach will make their way up the small feeder streams, into the canals, and any other quieter areas, away from the main flow. The canals are always cracking sport in the winter, with 70lb of Roach and Bream, a real possibility. Basically, on any system, there will be areas where they shoal up for the winter, and it can pay to go for a drive round, looking for these areas.

thx ducktape.....we do fish some of the smaller canals coming of the ban...but really looking for new venues during the winter months....rivers lakes or otherwise !!

spent along time last year driving round looking for new places with little success....some of the old haunts we used to go to now dont fish...will keep trying anyway mate :)

thx ducktape.....we do fish some of the smaller canals coming of the ban...but really looking for new venues during the winter months....rivers lakes or otherwise !!

spent along time last year driving round looking for new places with little success....some of the old haunts we used to go to now dont fish...will keep trying anyway mate :)

Take a look at Lough Neagh..........Feeder streams mean anything to you?

Some very good streams around the Lough in the winter, and it's not hard to find the fish. Tried the Fairy Water in Omagh? One of the best there is.

Fished muckno 2 weeks before monahan pairs (early sept) roach a chuck, if ke'ed been trying properly could have bagged 60 -70 lb. Spent the morning experimenting.

Try about 11 mtr caster ur corn and feed a little ball of groundbait every chuck. Dont worry if you get harrassed by pike, 1 -2 balls of groundbait will bring the roach back. As you feed off the smaller fish bigger roach came.

Maybe worth a try.

Tightlines

Fished muckno 2 weeks before monahan pairs (early sept) roach a chuck, if ke'ed been trying properly could have bagged 60 -70 lb. Spent the morning experimenting.

Try about 11 mtr caster ur corn and feed a little ball of groundbait every chuck. Dont worry if you get harrassed by pike, 1 -2 balls of groundbait will bring the roach back. As you feed off the smaller fish bigger roach came.

Maybe worth a try.

Tightlines

hi ferg...fishing muckno tomorrow(sunday)....its one of my regular places ....found it a bit patchy this year though...expectly for the bigger fish,,,what part of muckno did you fish anyway !!!

was really looking for info on rivers or canals during the coming winter...like the old river fishing at that time of year and was looking for new places to go....

best regards... :)

Hi Mark

Can only comment on last week when I was on a piking trip on the Shannon which was pretty full to say the least but between Shannon Bridge and Banager was stuffed full of roach especially the Banager end around the harbour area.