Where to catch a barbel?

wanzelbin

Like Budgie say's the 3 hour drive would make more sense, I am lucky to be able to fish the Severn, Avon and Teme reguarly. I am not as near to them as I would like but the 30min to hour drive is always worth it, depending which river I am fishing. I have helped a few catch Barbel on here and am always willing to offfer you some advice and you can always tag along one day. With winter around the corner it is not the best time, as conditions are not always ideal and you are really waiting for windows of good conditions, which are few and far between. Most of the time this time of year it is really hit and miss, although probably the best time of year is right now especially for the big girls if condituons are right. Feel free to pm me.

Paul

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Sindlesham will be a bit like the upper Medway IE a few Barbel In select Swims rathert than a good head of fish spread out as I believe is the case a litle further up the M4 on the Kennet.

Funily enough I live about 3 Miles from the part of the upper Medway where all the Barbel were/are caught but have only fished the venue twice and both times in a match. I was actually pegged in the Swim the record breaker came from(at least once) but only managed to catch Minnows. In neither match, or others I have observed have I seen or heard of a Barbel Caught so as others have sugested it might not be the best place to Break your Duck. That said the upper Medway is a very readable water where I am sure a bit of effort would be rewarded.

Now that I am in retirement as a Match Angler I have promissed myself that I will try to get a Tunbridge Wells card and get a Barbel form the venue.

I don't have a Reading ticket so I can't guest him there but I do have a Farnham ticket hence Sindlesham. I also have Bath & Chippenham tickets but I am prepared to travel for my barbel fishing especially when I love a river as much as I love the BA. I feel I am spoilt for choice living where I do as there are so many great barbel rivers all with in a hour or 2s drive :)

The other stretch of the Loddon on the Farnham ticket does not allow guests. I have special permission and the top section is closed for me for 1 day for my junior barbel fish in. It would be a better place to take him as I have not fished Sindlesham for years but we have a good a chance there as any where.

lyn

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

I don't have a Reading ticket so I can't guest him there but I do have a Farnham ticket hence Sindlesham. I also have Bath & Chippenham tickets but I am prepared to travel for my barbel fishing especially when I love a river as much as I love the BA. I feel I am spoilt for choice living where I do as there are so many great barbel rivers all with in a hour or 2s drive :)

The other stretch of the Loddon on the Farnham ticket does not allow guests. I have special permission and the top section is closed for me for 1 day for my junior barbel fish in. It would be a better place to take him as I have not fished Sindlesham for years but we have a good a chance there as any where.

lyn

lyn

Lyn

You say you have Bath & Chippenham tickets, Would that be Bristol Almagamated? Or do you mean Chipenham AA?

I am a recent exile of the Chippenham area, now live by the Severn Warwickshire Avon, and the Teme. If you would like to sample any of these rivers I would be happy to try and help.

Its a bit late in the season to 'guarantee' a barbel or two, but perhaps the Teme might offer the best chance currently. The river has just started to colour up a bit and should fish well. But be quick before temperatures plummet!! Its a beautiful river in beautiful countryside, you will not be disappointed either way, barbel or no barbel.

Edited by Rabbit

Lyn

You say you have Bath & Chippenham tickets, Would that be Bristol Almagamated? Or do you mean Chipenham AA?

I am a recent exile of the Chippenham area, now live by the Severn Warwickshire Avon, and the Teme. If you would like to sample any of these rivers I would be happy to try and help.

Its a bit late in the season to 'guarantee' a barbel or two, but perhaps the Teme might offer the best chance currently. The river has just started to colour up a bit and should fish well. But be quick before temperatures plummet!! Its a beautiful river in beautiful countryside, you will not be disappointed either way, barbel or no barbel.

Thanks for the offer, I have both books, Bath Almagamated & Chippenham. I get the Bath one half price being a woman! I have fished the Severn, we had our 1st ever AN barbel fish in on the Severn and have we had a day on the Teme. I have yet to fish the Warwickshire Avon but that day will come. I called a friend who is down on the BA and my days fishing is not to be. With last nights rain there is too much water on the river and I will not, for obvious reasons, take Liam on the rivers on flood conditions. :(

Working full time and with football taking up our Sundays throughout the winter my fishing time is limited, I don't get to fish as often as I would like.

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

Thanks for the offer, I have both books, Bath Almagamated & Chippenham. I get the Bath one half price being a woman! I have fished the Severn, we had our 1st ever AN barbel fish in on the Severn and have we had a day on the Teme. I have yet to fish the Warwickshire Avon but that day will come. I called a friend who is down on the BA and my days fishing is not to be. With last nights rain there is too much water on the river and I will not, for obvious reasons, take Liam on the rivers on flood conditions. :(

Working full time and with football taking up our Sundays throughout the winter my fishing time is limited, I don't get to fish as often as I would like.

lyn

Lyn

Sent you PM