Wide Mouth Bass

Dave A

Hi all,

Just got back from a family wedding in the Nashville and managed to get some quality fishing time to fulfil a life long wish to fish for Wide Mouth Bass.

I was lucky enough to taken out on a fantastic boat owned by a local guide. It had a massive 225hp outboard which could push it along at 71mph. Unfortunately, we were fishing on a small lake which had a no wake rule :schmoll:

Bassboat.jpg

The best fishing was around a tree line on an old bank which had been in place before the lake was extended. The water was only 4 feet deep due to a drastic lack of rain in the area, but each cast had to be aimed at the base of the trees to get any interest.

Trees.jpg

The best lure seemed to be a 'spinner' which consisted of a lead head and muppet on the end of a wire boom and spinning spoon. Not sure if any of the fresh water pike anglers use it in the UK, but I thought I would bring one back from the local Bass pro shop to try it.

Bass1.jpg

Bass2.jpg

The Bass Pro Shop was fantastic, with some really cheap lures. I was surprised to see on one Yak - a P13. I was expecting to see a few Hobie yaks, but was told that yak fishing hadn't really taken off in that part of the States. The Bass pro shop even had its own aquarium to show you what to aim for!

BassPro.jpg

Had a great few days with the best fish being around the 5lb mark. Great sport on light tackle

Edited by Dave A

Kayak - Hobie Mirage Outback

Location - Paignton

Nice report Dave, you have full filled one of my lifetime ambitions, going to a Bass Pro Shop :D, not sure my wallet would survive the trip. :)

I have one of those spinner baits and hope to give it a try for Pike in Llangorse later next month. Same colour as well, it was bought in a moment of madness, but yet to be used.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Nice report Dave, looks like you had a good time and cracking fish well done :thumbs:

I was disappointed on a Florida holiday a couple of years ago, I booked a Bass trip with a guide but the wind blew up, he contacted me at the hotel to sorry but weather was not suitable !!!! I was gutted that was the only day spare :angry:

Never mind one day :headhurt:

anglersnetsig.jpg

Nice report Dave, looks like you had a good time and cracking fish well done :thumbs:

I was disappointed on a Florida holiday a couple of years ago, I booked a Bass trip with a guide but the wind blew up, he contacted me at the hotel to sorry but weather was not suitable !!!! I was gutted that was the only day spare :angry:

Never mind one day :headhurt:

yes bass pro is like a giant sweet shop ,i think i would have to hire the whole plane to get the gear back,a couple of lads at work have been they were clearing the plugs like supermarket sweep. have bought online from them .found them very helpful . once got a fly line down to find when it arrived the container was empty no line or the dvd inside . phoned them up and the lady said ,no problem and sent me another ,have a nice day. no hassle or forms great .

:)

jerseytrev

LOCATION JERSEY C.I.

kayak ok prowler angler 13 (yellow) NZ