Idiot's guide to bream

JJ_The_Novice

:) Well, as the name suggests, I am a complete novice. What started as a golf holiday in Ireland next June has developed into Bream fishing (and some golf) o the Shannon. The rest of the guys are very experienced and the converstaion in the pub has moved from pars, birdies, drivers, hooking, slicing to strange terminology like wagglers, cage feeders (?), boilies, feather tip (?) and stuff like that. What I would like to do is for someone to spec me out a value for money bit of kit so that I can go on e-bay and check it out. Also, if anyone is willing to humour me, I would like an overview of fishing for Bream on a river. What sort of kit to use and why (laymans terms please). Got to go now but will logon later.

Cheers

JJ

:) Well, as the name suggests, I am a complete novice. What started as a golf holiday in Ireland next June has developed into Bream fishing (and some golf) o the Shannon. The rest of the guys are very experienced and the converstaion in the pub has moved from pars, birdies, drivers, hooking, slicing to strange terminology like wagglers, cage feeders (?), boilies, feather tip (?) and stuff like that. What I would like to do is for someone to spec me out a value for money bit of kit so that I can go on e-bay and check it out. Also, if anyone is willing to humour me, I would like an overview of fishing for Bream on a river. What sort of kit to use and why (laymans terms please). Got to go now but will logon later.

Cheers

JJ

hi jj and welcome to anglers net :)

the best advice i can give you is buy a feeder rod and a coarse reel...you can get both new for not much money...reels go from say 12 to 45 quid...a cheap feeder rod you can get for 20 to 40 quid...go into your local tackle dealer,,,i,m sure he will put you right !! all you need then are a few hooks and small feeders

...these are used to put your ground bait out beside your hook bait...when feeder fishing always try to put your feeder in the same place every cast......thus keeping any fish you have attracted in a small area !!

as for the shannon pre-baiting a swim the night before is sometimes the only way to get them bream.....it aint the river it used to be .

and i would still advise you to go and talk to your local tackle dealer...i,m sure he will give you a crash coarse on feeder fishing,,,,,after that its up to the gods :) enjoy your stay in our lovely country

best regards mark

hi jj and welcome to anglers net :)

the best advice i can give you is buy a feeder rod and a coarse reel...you can get both new for not much money...reels go from say 12 to 45 quid...a cheap feeder rod you can get for 20 to 40 quid...go into your local tackle dealer,,,i,m sure he will put you right !! all you need then are a few hooks and small feeders

...these are used to put your ground bait out beside your hook bait...when feeder fishing always try to put your feeder in the same place every cast......thus keeping any fish you have attracted in a small area !!

as for the shannon pre-baiting a swim the night before is sometimes the only way to get them bream.....it aint the river it used to be .

and i would still advise you to go and talk to your local tackle dealer...i,m sure he will give you a crash coarse on feeder fishing,,,,,after that its up to the gods :) enjoy your stay in our lovely country

best regards mark

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Do you recommend and "special" ground bait? What about hook size and hook bait?

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Do you recommend and "special" ground bait? What about hook size and hook bait?

4 parts brown crumb 1 part white crumb then any bream additive like molasses or brasem what ever flicks your switch, tons of casters n corn n worms, and worms on the hook and corn and casters,

size 10 hooks will be ok with 0-16 hooklengths.

cadge feeder if it is shallow ish up to 12 ft any deeper then a solid plastic tube type feeder with no holes except in the ends..

don't forget the worms

anyone got any of of these punches please
Broadband problems, click here
my m8 is a pike angler and one of the nicest people you could ever meet.IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image