More info needed

alderneyangling

Hi again,

A while ago I took advice from everyone here about which Kayak. In the end I plumped for the Hobie Mirage Outback, it seemed from what I was told stable enough and it had the advantage of the pedal blades. I unwrapped it on Saturday and apart from the intial shock of 'hey it does rock around' it seems OK, just a question of being familiar with what I am in.

So now part two, I have got all the clothing I need, compass, epirb and other safety bits but I was wondering:

(i) What is the preferred GPS for this sort of work?

(ii) What is the preferred Fishfinder for this sort of work?

Many thanks

Mark

Hi Alderney

If you haven't already, worth using the forum search feature to look for information on fishfinders - this question comes up from time to time. Basically there is no overall preferred fishfinder, our budgets & requirements differ. For less than £100, Eagle and basic Garmin fishfinders are quite popular (although have read mixed views on the realiability of Eagle units). The Humminbird Matrix series is popular with those wanting to spend more.

All basic GPS units will allow you to add waypoints, record your track, show speed, avg speed etc - look for a waterproof unit and if your fishfinder allows it, a GPS unit which you can you hook up to the finder. I use a wrist worn Garmin Foretrex101 and its been great.

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Hi Alderney

If you haven't already, worth using the forum search feature to look for information on fishfinders - this question comes up from time to time. Basically there is no overall preferred fishfinder, our budgets & requirements differ. For less than £100, Eagle and basic Garmin fishfinders are quite popular (although have read mixed views on the realiability of Eagle units). The Humminbird Matrix series is popular with those wanting to spend more.

All basic GPS units will allow you to add waypoints, record your track, show speed, avg speed etc - look for a waterproof unit and if your fishfinder allows it, a GPS unit which you can you hook up to the finder. I use a wrist worn Garmin Foretrex101 and its been great.

Thanks for that, I thought maybe there were just a few sets that would be compatible to the sport. I'll do that search as you suggest.The difficulty I do have living where I do is you don't get to see anything that you may well like so I might wait until I get a trip to Guernsey or back to the mainland. I jst feel that I could finish up buying a set that isn't quite right. Thanks again.

Thanks for that, I thought maybe there were just a few sets that would be compatible to the sport. I'll do that search as you suggest.The difficulty I do have living where I do is you don't get to see anything that you may well like so I might wait until I get a trip to Guernsey or back to the mainland. I jst feel that I could finish up buying a set that isn't quite right. Thanks again.

Hey Alderney

I will be over in June next year, if it helps, with my scupper pro. I have a Humminbird matrix17 fitted to my yak, and although I am not pushing it forward as the way to go, it does cover fishfinder / GPS solution in one system (be advised other models and makes are available ha ha!) so if you are still looking then and can make a trip to the mainland (Jersey!!!) then feel free to come and have a paddle and a look at my system by all means! :)

I think "make" is unimportant as they all do similar jobs and really it is all about what you want it for and availability!.

Cheers mate

SDD~~~~~~ :sun: (aspiring honourary bean!)

Hey Alderney

I will be over in June next year, if it helps, with my scupper pro. I have a Humminbird matrix17 fitted to my yak, and although I am not pushing it forward as the way to go, it does cover fishfinder / GPS solution in one system (be advised other models and makes are available ha ha!) so if you are still looking then and can make a trip to the mainland (Jersey!!!) then feel free to come and have a paddle and a look at my system by all means! :)

I think "make" is unimportant as they all do similar jobs and really it is all about what you want it for and availability!.

Cheers mate

SDD~~~~~~ :sun: (aspiring honourary bean!)

Thanks for that SDD,

Stay in touch and let me know what you're dates are. June is quite a busy month but the evenings are long so maybe we can get something organised for a trip out. I should be able to get some live eels too. I am the only Kayak at here at the moment so it would be nice to get out with someone with a bit of knowledge.

With regards of the fishfinder/gps combo I'll have alook at that Hummingbird one.

Thanks for your help,

Mark

I've opted for the eagle cuda 168 fishfinder - claims to be waterproof and it floats - just trying to get one cheaper than the US price off ebay but keep getting sniped.

I looked at www.outdoorsuperstore.com . They don't ship overseas but if you have a friend in the states it seems VERY cheap - almost two for the normal price of one over in the UK (yes yes I know - import duty etc etc but if you've got a mate in the US......................)

And don't get me started on the local shop price for these things. well over £100 locally against $71 in the US. Now that's what I call a markup! :angry:

Thanks for that SDD,

Stay in touch and let me know what you're dates are. June is quite a busy month but the evenings are long so maybe we can get something organised for a trip out. I should be able to get some live eels too. I am the only Kayak at here at the moment so it would be nice to get out with someone with a bit of knowledge.

With regards of the fishfinder/gps combo I'll have alook at that Hummingbird one.

Thanks for your help,

Mark

Will do Mark :) Think it will be early June but will let you know! I meet up with my bud Prowler so there are two of us at least ha ha :lol:

Like nomoretequila says it may pay to shop around!

All the best Seadoodavid~~~~~~~ :sun:

I've opted for the eagle cuda 168 fishfinder - claims to be waterproof and it floats - just trying to get one cheaper than the US price off ebay but keep getting sniped.

I looked at www.outdoorsuperstore.com . They don't ship overseas but if you have a friend in the states it seems VERY cheap - almost two for the normal price of one over in the UK (yes yes I know - import duty etc etc but if you've got a mate in the US......................)

And don't get me started on the local shop price for these things. well over £100 locally against $71 in the US. Now that's what I call a markup! :angry:

Sooooo true mate, makes your blood boil the amount the old tax vampire takes!! :angry:

SDD~~~~~~~ :sun: