Question to the forum: Method feeder advice?

Julian

Hi all,

Can anybody help with this visitors question to the forum?

The Visitor has been directed to this thread so could any answers / help be posted below. Cheers, Julian.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To bury or not to bury!?

I have been seeking advice on the best way to use the "method feeder"

on my local river, it appears that majority of articles I have read, and the same goes for all the illustrations I have looked at, all prefer to bury the hook length deep in the centre of the feeder. I would expect, that if you are guaranteed to land in the centre of a feeding shoal then this way of presenting it would be preferable, but I’m fairly sure that river fishing (as opposed to a commercial) would be more unpredictable and less beneficial.

Am I right in saying this?

All replies and advice would be most grateful. cheers Danny.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

my thoughts on method-feeder hooklengths when used on rivers

when fishing a method feeder on a river your basically using it as a open ended feeder to carry a lot of g/b & pellets to your chosen swim which is going to be washed downstream looser particles will travel further and heavier particle's will stay close to the feeder (with-in 4ft creating a elliptical shape tapering off downstream) the looser particles pull fish onto your feeding line (narrowing band downstream of your feeder) and move up the baited area to intercept the bigger bits but would probably shy away from the feeder as it comes into their field of vision.so a longer hooklink works better than shorter one's (tucked in) as it allows you to intercept the fish before it shy's away from your feeder .water colour would influrence the length of your hooklink a little [say a foot or so] generally a 4ft hooklink is a good starting point you may go down to the very least a foot long or upto 6ft or more {but the longer the hooklink you have the poorer the registration of the bite !!! and you run the risk of missing a bite or deep hooking a fish} so try to match the hooklink length to the conditions Longer in clearer water , shorter in coloured

unlike on a lake where you want your bait consentrated in a relativly small feed area and not spread around you then have to hide your hooklink so the fish don't see it [and ignore it !]

even a free running inline method feeder will act as a bolt rig in strong flows , so you usually get a good firm indication provided the fish on the hook is big enough to dislodge the feeder so try to match the size of feeder used to the fish expected to be in the swim plus check your hooklink regularly (every twenty to thirty minuets) as on a river its not a chuck-it and leave it method and this will help leaving a small fish tethered to your feeder while you haven't seen a bite indication

using a method feeder is a good way to get a lot of loose feed into your chosen swim with a few regular casts at the start of a session or just enough feed on each cast in so asto not over feed them on hard days

when i've used the method feeder for barbel,i pour the hot over the (halibut) pellets but leave them just long enough to absorb the water and softern a little so they're pliable and can be moulded onto the frame of the feeders (fox) and stick to it but only upto 2/3ds full then its topped off with a sticky g/b mix (abase mix of brown crumb & weet-a-bix) then rolled in / pressed on hemp to finnish it off.

once in the water the hemp will be released first then the g/b then the pellets (softened) will wash off and trickle down stream .your hooklink can be as short as 1ft or as long as 6ft (i prefer 2ft-3ft).

hooklink length veries according to the waters colour density.

i've used this method to get my first double figure barbel last year out of the trent

i hope this is of help

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Guest monolito

when fishing a method feeder on a river your basically using it as a open ended feeder to carry a lot of g/b & pellets to your chosen swim which is going to be washed downstream looser particles will travel further and heavier particle's will stay close to the feeder (with-in 4ft creating a elliptical shape tapering off downstream) the looser particles pull fish onto your feeding line (narrowing band downstream of your feeder) and move up the baited area to intercept the bigger bits but would probably shy away from the feeder as it comes into their field of vision.so a longer hooklink works better than shorter one's (tucked in) as it allows you to intercept the fish before it shy's away from your feeder .water colour would influrence the length of your hooklink a little [say a foot or so] generally a 4ft hooklink is a good starting point you may go down to the very least a foot long or upto 6ft or more {but the longer the hooklink you have the poorer the registration of the bite !!! and you run the risk of missing a bite or deep hooking a fish} so try to match the hooklink length to the conditions Longer in clearer water , shorter in coloured

unlike on a lake where you want your bait consentrated in a relativly small feed area and not spread around you then have to hide your hooklink so the fish don't see it [and ignore it !]

even a free running inline method feeder will act as a bolt rig in strong flows , so you usually get a good firm indication provided the fish on the hook is big enough to dislodge the feeder so try to match the size of feeder used to the fish expected to be in the swim plus check your hooklink regularly (every twenty to thirty minuets) as on a river its not a chuck-it and leave it method and this will help leaving a small fish tethered to your feeder while you haven't seen a bite indication

using a method feeder is a good way to get a lot of loose feed into your chosen swim with a few regular casts at the start of a session or just enough feed on each cast in so asto not over feed them on hard days

when i've used the method feeder for barbel,i pour the hot over the (halibut) pellets but leave them just long enough to absorb the water and softern a little so they're pliable and can be moulded onto the frame of the feeders (fox) and stick to it but only upto 2/3ds full then its topped off with a sticky g/b mix (abase mix of brown crumb & weet-a-bix) then rolled in / pressed on hemp to finnish it off.

once in the water the hemp will be released first then the g/b then the pellets (softened) will wash off and trickle down stream .your hooklink can be as short as 1ft or as long as 6ft (i prefer 2ft-3ft).

i've used this method to get my first double figure barbel last year out of the trent

i hope this is of help

Guest monolito

i hope this is of help

Yes it is, thanks for that chavender, whe you refer to the hook link length, say for example on an in line method feeder, you mentioned that the hook length can actually be as long as 2 feet, how would you disguise that much line inside the feeder? Also, can the in line method feeder be used free running, as opposed to a semi bolt rig.

Regarding brands; i was told that the new korda mini feeders are quite good for river and commercial fisheries alike. Once again thanks lads.

If you just want to reply to a topic, you can use the Reply button. The one with a quote mark by it is designed for use if you need to include some part of a prevsious reply.

The button position is unfortunate since the regular Reply or Fast Reply options are sort of hidden by being down so far.

an-reply.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President