sandeels for preds ?

bingbong

I like to wobble them on a standard two treble trace. Attatch them so they are a bit 'kinked' rather than straight as this gives them a nice undulating action. Play around with different speeds, let it sink then rise up etc.

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

I'm not sure where the sandeels that appear in tackle shops are caught from, but the North Sea stocks are in a bad way. Puffins and other seabirds are heavily reliant on sandeels with which to feed their young, so personally I think I'd rather choose other baits whose populations are a bit healthier.

Industrial fishing for North Sea sandeels

The sandeel fishery is not for human consumption, but instead is used in producing fish meal and oil mainly for use in aquaculture. ‘Real time monitoring’ has allowed scientists to assess the strength of the sandeel stock, which is prone to short-term fluctuations, and make urgent management recommendations. The North Sea sandeel population is at such a historic and perilous low level that in 2005 the EC were forced to take unprecedented action in closing the fishery for the remainder of the year. However, the closure was not implemented until July, when the season was over and the Danish fleet – which has the lion’s share of the massive sandeel quota – had returned home. In recent years, the Danish fleet has been unable to find enough sandeels to fish out their quota, and one of Esbjerg’s largest fishmeal factories has been forced to close.

ICES calculates that the North Sea sandeel stock is one third below the minimum recommended level of 600,000 tonnes. ICES recommends that the fishery should remain closed until information is available, through real time monitoring, which assures that the stock can be rebuilt to this level by 2007. We urge that the North Sea remains closed to all sandeel fishing, to allow this vital stock to replenish, and so rebuild the food chain which supports a variety of commercial fish stocks, seabirds and other marine species.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/Images/fisheriesquo..._tcm5-92885.doc

Actually, thinking about it, I'm probably being hypocritical by avoiding buying sandeels when you can see that's what they are, but still buying halibut pellets, which probably contain a fair percentage of sandeel! :(

Nearly all our fish based products are based on sandeel whether it be fish meal powder, halibut pellets, fish oil or additives for groundbaits. The only question to ask is are you comfortable buying a few packets of frozen sandeel for baits and for me the answers yes.

The fisheries frozen and so is the bait, so buying or not will not have any further impact on the stocks and its well documented that its not overfishing thats caused the collapse but other environmental considerations(you have to keep up with things in the sea forum) so if you only buy frozen bait without all of the other fish based offerings then youre using less real fish for baits in a year than anglers who use a lot of pellets and fish meal mix's

i saw sandeel in among the deadbaits at local shop today .

any one used them for pike / zander and any success ????

Yes I caught a canal Zander 8lbs from coventry canal with sandeels,

I brought them back from teignmouth, devon they were in a vac sealed packet, so long lasting

I thought I would just give them a go, my hubby thought I was mad "you won't catch anything using them" he said

Try them And I am sure you will catch.

Emmy :yeah: