Ready for a wet . . .!

Guest Silver Back

Hiya CJS2

thanks :) she is *very* stable and to date only had 1 person sea sick on her :)

You are correct, the lack of the echo from the skate is to do with no swim bladder & no dense bone structure, the latter is what shows mackerel up on the sounder on the higher frequencies :)

Thurso for what it's worth, I very rarely see anything on the bottom either, which as far as I'm concerned aint a problem as I only use the sounder to find features not fish :)

[ 06. September 2005, 06:55 AM: Message edited by: Davy Holt ]

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thurso, I to rarely see fish like cod on the bottom, however, the Koden I use dose seem to show more than most, it being capable of defining fish very close to the bottom when we drift the river for bass. I have a new 118c unit with the transducer bolted 'through' the hull. It did remarkably well when I first tested it a couple of months ago firing through almost 1" of glass hull, looking forward her going back in the water (very soon).

If its cod your looking for, other than wrecks, its the type of tarane thats important, the bottom is not a carpet of fish, they come in waves, find the bottom and then wait in ambush!

On our local patch, there are mountains on the bottom, fish can often be identified strategicaly placed on these peaks and troughs, such terain is rare, the sightings are fare more reliables in the summer than winter.

CJS2

Thanks Davey/CJS2 its a koden i have also and whilst ive been having good success catching fish i just wondered was my finder working properly, i have just been going on the bottom structure to spot likely marks.

"Colonel Gadaffi, knows more about fishing than the whole of westminster put together"

Alex Salmond 2004 SNP Leader

"Forza Dons"