Can I turn the pond pump off now?

eamonn321

Mine always gets turned off about the beginning of October. For icing I have a four foot length of plastic drainpipe with a sort of U bend on one end. I put the pipe into the pond at an angle with the U bend resting just against the edge and a couple of inches clear of it so that air can get in easily. Whenever the pond ices over the water in the pipe either does not freeze or only freezes over slightly. It is just a matter of taking it out and clearing the ice from inside then putting it back to keep a small area of water ice free to allow the built up gasses to escape. It also acts as something for the ice to squash against and helps to prevent it damaging the liner.

Edited by ahammond

What does your pump do? If it's just a fountain or a waterfall then it can be switched off. If it is for a biological filter then it's probably best to leave it runing.

It does go through a biological filter and also some pours back through a separate pipe straight back into the pond. Hmm must check the filter - probably has about 4" of gunge sitting on top of the foam by now!.

It does go through a biological filter and also some pours back through a separate pipe straight back into the pond. Hmm must check the filter - probably has about 4" of gunge sitting on top of the foam by now!.

I have to clean mine for that very reason, every couple of weeks.

My pond is full of leaves right now. I really do need to address the silt problem this coming year....

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I have to clean mine for that very reason, every couple of weeks.

My pond is full of leaves right now. I really do need to address the silt problem this coming year....

When would be a good time to try to remove all the gunk out of the bottom of the pond? I've read some earlier threads about this and think I will just try to dredge the muck out using a biggish net with a fairly fine mesh.

There is no good time to remove the gunk from the bottom of a pond. It is one of the jobs that I hate the most. I tend to leave it until after the winter as frogs and other amphibians use it to hibernate in. A fine net is probably the best way to get it out. The problem then is to get rid of it. Allegedly it is good for the garden. Depending on how well you value your neighbours will dictate where you dump it though as it can be more than a bit smelly.

There is no good time to remove the gunk from the bottom of a pond. It is one of the jobs that I hate the most. I tend to leave it until after the winter as frogs and other amphibians use it to hibernate in. A fine net is probably the best way to get it out. The problem then is to get rid of it. Allegedly it is good for the garden. Depending on how well you value your neighbours will dictate where you dump it though as it can be more than a bit smelly.

Thanks. I have the feeling that this is one of those jobs that will always be put off till another day!