x-factor first outing report

niko

well the x finally got here and as there was a carmer day took her out for a quick play

countnt get in the sea ,to big a swell for a first trip so went to my local estuary ,to start with i paddled into the current to see how hard it would be to make headway against (current running very strong,the bouys were being pushed nearly under!!)and have to say even with a slow stroke rate moved slowly against it without to much difficulty

with a faster stroke rate moved no probs .and with the current wow you fly.

next i thought i would try to find out tracking and turning ,all i can say on tracking (even with my crappy paddling technique)wow its on rails .and as far as turning gos i was pleasantly surprised not super quick but very doable(but i suspect a rudder would be worth having).

next i thought i would have a bit of fun testing the stability so started by crawling all over the beast ,no probs getting anywhere on it front hatch ,tankwell ,etc .the primary stability is great really inspires confidence ,

so with the reports of wide yaks not having great secondary stability i thought i would test and see

sat side saddle and started to tip it up to try and find the point of flip ,well i had this thing so far over the rod holders were filling up with water ,and i started to slip of the side ,and still no sign of this thing tipping so i would say the secondary stability is great.

all in all well happy will add more when i have another chance to play.

i have to add thanks to shawn at fishyak and ken(malibu )for sorting things out for me

(but i suspect a rudder would be worth having

Hi Niko, good to see that you have enjoyed your first outing with your X-Factor, being as I have one myself I know just how you feel about it. However, I do have a rudder on mine and having also used it without the rudder, I know that you will be even happier if you fit one. As far as I am concerned it is my technique that makes it necessary but I guess the fact that the X-Factor is designed for anglers probably makes the rudder more of a desirable accessory than it would be if the kayak was designed with only the paddler in mind.

The stability is a major factor in the X-Factor's design and we have a picture of a 6'+ guy who weighs in excess of 120kgs standing up on one while fly fishing. There are some dinghies on sale in this part of the world that are less forgiving! :)

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.