Fluff patterns

richardlawrence

Hi Richard, the place I use is as follows,

custmflys@ij.net

With the dollar to the pound its a good time to buy, and sorry simon but there are things one can buy in the states that are far far better and a lot less money then here in the UK and that takes account of the postage, After all whats the weight in a bag of feathers :)

terry

If only I had all the money for all the toys I want,;-(

Got most of them now, Just working on that Harley in blue ;-)

My experience tells me that 10% of the time it doesn't matter what fly you tie on the fish will take it. 80% of the time as long as you match the approximate length of the bait in the area it will work. 1% of the time they just wont take anything. The remaining 12% :headhurt: colour may play a part.

I have found sparser dressing work better during the day and a bulkier profile at dawn/dusk/dark. Colour wise I have found chartruese/white to be the all rounder. Olive/white and all white in bright conditions. In dark or near dark conditions I favour a fly that is black/orange. I firmly believe fish can still see shade in the dark and that's why I still use a lighter underside for my 'black and' flies. Yellow seems to be a much under-used colour and I'll often substitute yellow for the white in my flies.

Patterns I wouldn't be without are Clousers (sparse and full dressed), Ray's Fly, Brook's Blonde, Al's Sandeel, Easy-Peasy Sandeel and like JRT, a slim banger/slider type fly.

I agree 100% with your theory and choice of colours Martin, and also feel yellow should play a more important role .

This year i found Clousers and sandeel patterns reliable on the few tiny fish i persuaded to take , all the larger EP or Deceiver flies failed miserably.........but then again this year has been particulary crap down my way !! :(

Try again next year i suppose :rolleyes:

Dave :)