All fish are food.

HE MAN

Whilst I hold no real opinion on coarse fish as food, why is it now frowned upon to take a fish to eat from waters that permit it such as the Thames?

I personally don't fancy a chub or roach or even a bream but I am partial to the odd smallish pike for my supper. I would eat the odd perch too as I understand that they are quite tasty. I do not condone the robbery that goes on now with europeans poaching fish from waters that do not permit taking catches.

Years ago, the taking of coarse fish for supper was commonplace. Food being so readily available today, fishing is regarded as a sport. I return nearly all my coarse fish(save the odd pike) carefully and enjoy all methods of fishing for them and the sport they provide.

Guest Ferret1959

But poaching is poaching and therefore theft on a great amount of waters in this country.

Rules is rules and if the rule says no fish to be taken why should ANYONE help themselves?

But poaching is poaching and therefore theft on a great amount of waters in this country.

Rules is rules and if the rule says no fish to be taken why should ANYONE help themselves?

I would agree with this, but as he-man said, what is wrong with taking a few from waters that allow it. If it is ok to take a dozen fish for pike baits, where is the harm in a couple for the table. I know many who take the odd perch to eat, even those who C & R trout! The problem is with large scale slaughter and netting etc., by talking with the anglers and accepting the odd fish going to table they also can help protect stocks from serious damage. These anglers also will probably have more idea of who the large scale poachers might be and can help stop it. As has been said in other threads dialogue can go a long way to sorting problems.

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..