css h1 background image

glennk

Background-Image

Background-image lets you specify a graphic file that will be used as a background for an element. This can easily look messy so this tag should be used with care if you intend having a text displayed over a busy looking image. The image might even obscure the text completely.

If your background image only applies to a few elements you should either include a plain background of a similar colour to be used behind the rest of the page or use the background-color property to specify a colour that is harmonious with the images used.

The background image can be specified as either a full URL such as http://www.mysite.com/background.gif or relative URL such as /images/background.gif.

H1 { background-image: /images/background.gif }

Lifted from http://www.practicalpc.co.uk/webbuilding/design/css4.htm

Spooky I'm just looking at a very similar thing....

Tony

Hi Slap that's great mate and this image looks good because its quite faint. All ready for the 1st of December now just a matter of switching the css.

One thing though the background image goes the full length of the page.

wsaxmas.jpg

Is there anyway to keep it to the width of the text within the h1 ?

Thanks again - Glenn

Hmmmm

There must be a way other than this but I'm not an expert and I can't find it just yet :D

The background image repeats across the page since the 'no-repeat' attribute is unspecified and the text doesn't go to the edges 'cos it's centred.

If it were me I'd photoshop the holly and make a banner (by repeating the image) the same width of the text and then use that as the background image with the attribute background-position:center set.

That should solve it......

Or leave it as it is, 'cos I think it looks rather nice ;)

Now if only I could sort out my problem ;)

I was just thinking that. Lokks nice and simple. I think I will leave it.

Thanks again - just off for a couple of hours fishing.

Cheers - Glenn

I agree it looks better as it is, but just to let you know how to limit it to the text, put the text within a <span> tag, and apply the background-image style to the span. I realise this won't apply to all h1 tags, but you could pop the styling into a class that is referenced by the span.

e.g.

<style>

.bgpic

{

background-image: url(http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/images/angnettop.gif)

}

</style>

<h1><span class="bgpic">Your Text Here</span></h1>

David

background-repeat: no-repeat

place this under the background image in the h1 css

always good to know but i agree with everyone else, this looks nicer with repeat. heres some others-

repeat repeated vertically and horizontally

repeat-x repeated horizontally

repeat-y repeated vertically

no-repeat not repeated image shown as is

seeing those loverly big cod on your site is making me hungry :shutup:

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk