Please help

Moeksie

:rolleyes: Hi there, I could really do with some advise for the guys 'in the know' ...........so to speak. My husband and I have been keen anglers forever - but in Africa. We have now lived in the UK for a few years, and have a yearning to just go fishing. But, its all strange and new territory :wallbash: To make matters worse, my husband has a heart condition, so cant move around much like he used to.

So, the question - where can one go salt water fishing, and expect to have some fun? How is salt water fishing in places like Italy, Porugal, ect? Im looking for somewhere that I could rent a holiday flat, and we could do our own thing - depending on how husband feels on the day.

Any ideas? :sun:

:rolleyes: Hi there, I could really do with some advise for the guys 'in the know' ...........so to speak. My husband and I have been keen anglers forever - but in Africa. We have now lived in the UK for a few years, and have a yearning to just go fishing. But, its all strange and new territory :wallbash: To make matters worse, my husband has a heart condition, so cant move around much like he used to.

So, the question - where can one go salt water fishing, and expect to have some fun? How is salt water fishing in places like Italy, Porugal, ect? Im looking for somewhere that I could rent a holiday flat, and we could do our own thing - depending on how husband feels on the day.

Any ideas? :sun:

Welcome aboard Moeksie,

It sounds like your husband would not be up to a lot of beach fishing because of the casting involved, now the mullet men could put you onto some excellent fishing from easy harbour marks around the south coast with plenty of rented accomodation and an opportunity for a charter trip or two for bream, plaice just to mention a couple of species. Despite all our moaning on the conservation forum their are still some good hot spots around with easy access. The coast of Wales is stunning with some good fishing from piers and harbour walls, lots of places in the south west of England.

You don't have to leave the UK to find good fishing unless your looking for some where warmer.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Welcome aboard Moeksie,

It sounds like your husband would not be up to a lot of beach fishing because of the casting involved, now the mullet men could put you onto some excellent fishing from easy harbour marks around the south coast with plenty of rented accomodation and an opportunity for a charter trip or two for bream, plaice just to mention a couple of species. Despite all our moaning on the conservation forum their are still some good hot spots around with easy access. The coast of Wales is stunning with some good fishing from piers and harbour walls, lots of places in the south west of England.

You don't have to leave the UK to find good fishing unless your looking for some where warmer.

Wow thanks guys. Alderney looks simply stunning - and I didnt even know such an island exsisted :o I had been into a local tackle/bait shop asking questions - but the experiance was - erm............dissapointing. The man who works there was so secretive, and been a woman, with a foreign accent obviously didnt go down well at all :D

:rolleyes: How is salt water fishing in places like Italy, Porugal, ect? Im looking for somewhere that I could rent a holiday flat, and we could do our own thing - depending on how husband feels on the day.

Any ideas?

Here in Portugal there are many places to go fishing, but the normal size of the fishes is not like in Africa. In surfcasting and with great luck you catch a 10 kg white bass or a 30 kg "corvina". But you can use boat too and catch marlins or sharks.

All the portuguese coast is good and the choice depends of what you desire. The first thing you must decide is if you plan to go by boat, by car, by all terrain car or walking in order to choose a place. Figueira da Foz, Algarve, Costa Vicentina, Foz do Arelho, Aberta Nova, Aveiro, Espinho, etc. are privileged places for fishing. You can easily rent flats in Figueira da Foz, Aveiro, Algarve and Foz do Arelho. They are cheap too, only the Algarve is a little bit more expensive because it is more touristic.

In attach I sent a photo of a corvina caught in the mouth of the Tagus river near the sea (in Belem, Lisbon). With this size it is an exception to be able to catch one in surfcasting.

Regards from Antonio de Almeida in Portugal.