Question for Okuma Shefield owners

JohnA

I recently acquired an Okuma Sheffield & have so far been very pleased with how it has performed. However, I have noticed some slight movement in the drum & would like to know if this is a problem with my reel, or a “feature” of the Sheffield / Okuma centrepins in general.

I do not see any wobble when the drum is spinning, but when I apply alternate light pressure on opposite edges of the drum (when it is stationary), it moves slightly, as if it is rocking on the bearings.

Also, if I start the reel spinning with the handles pointing to the side, then rotate the reel so that the handles are pointing at the ground, I do feel a slight movement within the reel as if something is shifting internally, although the reel does continues to spin freely.

From past experience with my Adcock Stanton, I know that individual centrepins do vary greatly. I was happy enough using my Stanton for several years, until I found out from a tackle review in IYCF that my reel should spin for about 70 seconds when batted, whereas mine had never spun for more than 30 seconds. I sent the reel back to Cliff Adcock & I don’t know what he did to it, but when it came back, it would spin for almost 3 minutes!! The adjustment made a world of difference, meaning that even light stick floats could be trotted through a swim, without me having to turn the drum with my thumb.

Also, if I start the reel spinning with the handles pointing to the side, then rotate the reel so that the handles are pointing at the ground, I do feel a slight movement within the reel as if something is shifting internally, although the reel does continues to spin freely.

Are you sure you aren't just feeling the gyroscopic effect of the spinning drum?

the bearings on the okuma's (pro & sheffield) sit on the central shaft (pin) and are a tight fit but NOT a interference fit , so the spool can be removable

it could be that the spool isn't quite sitting right and maybe sat on a tiny amount of hardened greese between the spool's base & ratchet cog (on the spools back) and the reels backplate & hub on which the spool sits & spins.check by removing the central screw/knob on the front of the spool and look carefully at where it screws into the central shaft.the shaft and inner bearing lip should be flush with each other.if not you could try removing the spool ( by removing the big screw/knob from the centre of the front of the spool and lifting off the spool ) inspect for foreign objects grit/muck & clean off any muck & all the old grease from the ratchet's cog & from the top of the hub around the base of the central shaft.regrease the cog and whipe over the shaft with a oily lintfree cloth (doesn't need oiling/greasing just protecting from rust...WHAT EVER YOU DO DON'T USE WD 40 {EVER} use a drop of light oil on the cloth then whipe the surface of the shaft.

because of the design of the backplate (being perforated) muck can get inside,so a regular clean up as above wouldn't go amiss

there is a distant probability of a manufacturing fault with the assembly or finnish of the reel do a visual inspection as above and pay attention to the shafts surface (for scratches , rougthness) near to its base/hub,the paint on and around the hub should be smooth and flat.look carefully at the bearings and see if they look flat or slightly angled in the casing viewed fron the bottom & top apertures ( through both inner holes of the bearings).also check that the retaining screw/knob has its `0 ' ring/gasket in place on the bottom of its thread ?.

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Steve,

You could well be right about the gyroscopic effect, but it seems strange that I don't feel any movement when I spin the reel with the handles pointing to the side, then rotate the reel so that the handles point upwards.

Chavender,

Many thanks for taking the trouble to privide such a detailed response. The only "fault" I found was inside the dome on the rear of the drum, where the remains of four metal strips protrude slightly from the inner wall. I don't think these are causing any problems though, as there is no sign of any wear on the dome on the backplate (where the centre shaft comes out of), which the dome on the drum fits over.

Despite cleaning the reel as you suggested, using sewing machine oil on a lint-free cloth, the drum is still rocking slightly when pressure is applied to the rim. I am probably just being too picky, as the reel does run very freely. I suspect that the shaft & the bearings are not such a tight fit as on my Stanton & it is this "play" that I am feeling.

If I get the chance, I will see if I can inspect a Sheffield in a local tackle shop & see if that has any movement in the drum, but they tend to sell out as soon as the shop gets them in.