Shimano 5010GT vs GTE 5000

James P

The Shimano 5000 or 5010's are all around the same size.

Depending on the test curve of your avons they may be a little on the heavy side. 1.25lb and under you may be better opting for a 4000 size reel if you want to stick to Shimano's.

The Okuma's Andy mentions come very highly recommended by a lot of people on here and are smaller/lighter than the Shimano 5000's if you need a baitrunner.

Guest tigger
To bring this back to the front, does anyone know if the spools are interchangeable? I have a 5010 but would like to use the metal-lipped spool from a 5000gte.

Cheers

D

Yeah the spools off the 5000 gte and the 5010's are interchangeable. Regarding the metal lip spool, the 5010's usually have one graphite lipped and one metal lipped supplied.

Yeah the spools off the 5000 gte and the 5010's are interchangeable. Regarding the metal lip spool, the 5010's usually have one graphite lipped and one metal lipped supplied.

I have a Shimano 5000 GTE-B (the grey model) and my older 5010 spools will not fit it because the bail arm on my GTE-B clips the 5010 spools. (note: 4000 spools fit my older 5010 fine).

I cant say whether the newer 5000 GTE-C spools are compatible with the 5010 as I havent owned one.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Guest tigger
I have a 5010 and want to put a gte spool on it...seen some on ebay so will order one up and hope for the best!

I've just tried the 5000 gte spools on a 5010, one spool fitted great but the other was catching very slightly on the drum as it revolved. The spool skirt is a mil or two wider on the 5010's than the 5000 gte.

Just a thought dan why not get the 5010 spool with the metal lip they look good and where made for the reel.

Edited by tigger