HELP! Wireless Printer server type~!

Chris Goddard

Chris could you let me know what model of Router and print server you have?

Router is a Belkin G+ Model F5D7231-4 and printer server is an F1UP0001. Getting really stressed now as Belkin seem to have all but dissapeared!! UK is not working now for over a week and the US site will simply not play!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris could you let me know what model of Router and print server you have?

Router is a Belkin G+ Model F5D7231-4 and printer server is an F1UP0001. Getting really stressed now as Belkin seem to have all but dissapeared!! UK is not working now for over a week and the US site will simply not play!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

http://web.belkin.com/support/download/dow...ang=1&mode=

Website works fine for me.

downloaded help files drivers etc fine.

Print server IP is 192.168.1.2, you will need to set your configuring PC to 192.168.1.xx (say 10) to get 'within range' of it if you can connect with a RJ45 cable.

Does this beastie not have an RJ45 connection as well as the wireless one?

If not then you will need to logon to the wireless router and have a look at what IP it has 'given' to the print server, then you can logon to the print server and set it up,

Much easier to use a notebook first wired and then wireless to do the print server setting up before getting the wireless router involved.

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Hi Tog. yes the US site works and the UK site BUT try getting a message to support!!!!!!

The beastie has a port on it and set up will not connect the printer anyway which is why I feel I need to contact the support services. As far as I am aware the setup IS correct!! Just the bloody thing doen't work. Now have " different manuals and they all are differnt insofar as knowledge goes but some things work and some CERTAINLY don't!! It really is daft as that ancd not being too sharp in that department......... But REALLY appreciate all your input lads!!

Andy, bit torrent has me floundering I'm afraid!!

Chris Goddard

So you can connect your PC to the print server ok?

and you can see the print server setup pages ok? - will be web browser pages.???

But you cannot get the print server to talk to your printer?

Should have a test print function on the menu and by pressing the reset button.

You have a WPA protected wireless network Chris? therefore the Print Server will not be able to talk to the network until it knows the password. Did you set this yet? can you remember it!!!

You need to connect via the RJ45 port on the Print server DIRECTLY to another PC RJ45 network port with a crossover lead, set that pc's IP to be 192.168.2.xxx (I would set it to 192.168.2.100).

It will take both the PC and Print server a few mins to negotiate and then the 'connected' icon should be showing for your WIRED network on your taskbar. look at it's status and it tells you the IP.

you may need to disable any wireless network you have running on said PC as some struggle with having 2 live IP's

also press <Start> <Run> CMD<enter> ipconfig/all<enter>

write down your ip config data and post it here:

Then goto 'My computer' and type 192.168.2.253 in the address window

This should get you into the print servers menu and allow you to set the wireless settings etc.

Looks like quite a useful little print server Chris hope you can get it to sing...

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

So you can connect your PC to the print server ok?

and you can see the print server setup pages ok? - will be web browser pages.???

But you cannot get the print server to talk to your printer?

Should have a test print function on the menu and by pressing the reset button.

You have a WPA protected wireless network Chris? therefore the Print Server will not be able to talk to the network until it knows the password. Did you set this yet? can you remember it!!!

You need to connect via the RJ45 port on the Print server DIRECTLY to another PC RJ45 network port with a crossover lead, set that pc's IP to be 192.168.2.xxx (I would set it to 192.168.2.100).

It will take both the PC and Print server a few mins to negotiate and then the 'connected' icon should be showing for your WIRED network on your taskbar. look at it's status and it tells you the IP.

you may need to disable any wireless network you have running on said PC as some struggle with having 2 live IP's

also press <Start> <Run> CMD<enter> ipconfig/all<enter>

write down your ip config data and post it here:

Then goto 'My computer' and type 192.168.2.253 in the address window

This should get you into the print servers menu and allow you to set the wireless settings etc.

Looks like quite a useful little print server Chris hope you can get it to sing...

Right Tog!! here we GO!!!! I can get the printer to print a page by using the test print button. That is with a cable connected between my PC and the Print Server.

I reset the WPA to a 128 bit password and so that is also in the P/Server as well AS FAR AS I AM AWARE?? But not sure!

I have not tried the crfossover lead as do not know what that is? Is that a normal RJ 45 lead as suplied with the server?? And don't have the WIRELESS icon showing which I have seen on all other installations. For instance on our other PC which would connect wirelessly. But this is not on at present so does not apply!

I also have 2 Wireless networks I think?? The LIVEBOX is wireless and so is the PC via the router. The livebox is all in French which I am afraid to say is beyond me as yet! And the router is connected to that and the router has a 128 bit encryption. But the laptop connects to the PC so I supposed that was ok?

Anyway done as asked and this is what I got from the CMD line in c:\

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Belkin

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Belkin

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0A-E6-AB-D9-30

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.3

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 30 January 2007 08:24:59

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 19 January 2038 04:14:07

Does this seem right?? And I searched the address 192.168.2.253 and got back NOT FOUND?? can you do anything with this? Or have I found a NEW doorstop?!?! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Chris Goddard

Take the RJ45 lead that came with the print server and plug it into the Print server & the RJ45 network socket on your PC, either use your main pc or a notebook - whatever.

Turn on both.

After about 5 mins the network should have negotiated - your main PC has a 192.168.2.3 as it's IP and can 'see' the Print server.

Press <start> <my computer> in the address bar type 192.168.2.253<enter>

This should bring up the print server set up pages, if not try the reset default function - press the reset button for ? seconds??

Once you can see the Print server pages, set up all the wireless paramerters as per your wireless network, you should then be able to 'see' your wireless router from the print server, it will be a 'service' or network or similar.

Your print server may well reboot a few times each time you apply another change.

Once you have setup the print server you should be able to disconnect the RJ45 lead and connect to it wirelessly, you will not be able to talk to it wirelessly before setting your wireless parameters up via the RJ45 lead.

Ok now you should be able to 'add printer' on your PC, select network and browse for a printer, select your wireless network and select the printer.

Good luck my man.....