Shark from Kayak and Shore

gilbo

This summer been thinking of trying for a shark off the South Cornwall Coast. :rolleyes:

There are loads of pinnacle rocks a mile or so off shore and planning to paddle out to one and set up a 24 hour session off one. Some are pretty large and would allow an overnight stay / camp.

Although the blues are usually several miles out I reckon a dubby trail from one of the islands could bring one to a bait. Perhaps even a mako, porbeagle or threasher may appear.

There is no shore caught records for many of these and hence does standing on an small island or pinnacle count as shore?

Any thoughts?

:rolleyes:

Gilbo, I think it's a brilliant idea :thumbs:

How big are these rocks that you plan to land on? and do they have easy places to pull ashore ( flatish)?

Been having similar thoughts myself about trying a similar thing up here in Wales from a large headland that can only be reached by a two mile hike over land. It has produced Porgies close to shore in the past and a local skipper who used to get them 20 yrs ago suggested doing exactly this and hanging the dubby bags from the rocks in the tidal stream on the point.

It would be fantastic achievement if someone pulled it off, and it can be done:

http://www.irish-trophy-fish.com/articles/kevinl.htm

Thats a great link stu !! Sounds like a good plan to me!! :thumbs:

Don't forget your Bream rig Maestro! :clap2: does sound like a cunning plan! :thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

I reckon someone will catch a shark from the yak this year,I know we've had our doubters but we had that with the Congers and Skate and they have had to eat their words :thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

Don't forget your Bream rig Maestro!

I've a dozen quivering in anticipation of the year ahead :clap2: This winter larks alright but theres nothing like a day on the reef followed by a barby and a few beers. :thumbs:

Ok Prowler 13

Don't forget your Bream rig Maestro!

I've a dozen quivering in anticipation of the year ahead :clap2: This winter larks alright but theres nothing like a day on the reef followed by a barby and a few beers. :thumbs:

Roll on the Summer--can't wait! :thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

assisted rescues---5

I reckon someone will catch a shark from the yak this year,I know we've had our doubters but we had that with the Congers and Skate and they have had to eat their words :thumbs:

I agree Richi, But there are Sharks and there are SHARKS.

Our Tope would qualify as Shark and would knock spots off a Blue of similar size in the fighting department, then there are the big fellas :o

gwinges.jpg

This is the sort of thing which is a large rock with some flat and even grass on it. Its always above water even at the biggest tides.

Comfortable paddle aswell over slack water.

:thumbs: