Macro Lens

randal

Now that i have the D80 and my birthday is coming up the wife asked me what i wanted,i wouldn't mind a macro lens love for the new camera :rolleyes: anyway she has said yes she will get me one :clap2:

So which do you guys recommend for the D80 for close up shots?

Now that i have the D80 and my birthday is coming up the wife asked me what i wanted,i wouldn't mind a macro lens love for the new camera :rolleyes: anyway she has said yes she will get me one :clap2:

So which do you guys recommend for the D80 for close up shots?

The older (non-VR) Nikon 105mm is very good - lots of samples in the animals section of my wesbite. But the Sigma 105mm and 150mm both get excellent reviews.

I've got the Sigma 150mm on my "next lens" list! :rolleyes:

The older (non-VR) Nikon 105mm is very good - lots of samples in the animals section of my wesbite. But the Sigma 105mm and 150mm both get excellent reviews.

I've got the Sigma 150mm on my "next lens" list! :rolleyes:

Concure with the above.

Tamron have had it all there own way on affordable?? macros for a long time, but the Sigmas are reviewing well and the 150mm has a f2.8 aperture and a 9 blade iris!

The longer lens means you dont frighten the critters, flowers dont care of course! lol, so the cheaper 90mm would be OK. I imagine shadow could be a problem when up so close and personal with a 90mm??

http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/di.asp

http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/lenses/macro/macro.htm

Quote:Professional Image Maker - June/July/August 2006

'Photographers who specialize in natural history photography either for money or enjoyment are going to love this one!' ’The engineering of this lens is up to the usual high standard we expect from the maker.’ 'The performance of the Sigma was essentially flawless and in the field it was way ahead of all the other problems such as camera shake and subject movement – this is a lens you can trust to do any job.' ‘The 150mm lens however is a real beauty, right up there with the standard we have come to expect from Sigma.

Thats one hell of a quote!!!

CJS2

Edited by CJS2

I've got the Sigma 150mm on my "next lens" list!

Funny the subject of Sigma Macros should crop up, I'm considering the above myself.

Not sure whether to go for the 150 2.8 prime or the 70-200 2.8 though?

I recently picked up a 'Bigma', the Sigma 50-500 and whilst it's not the fastest lens around, it must surely rate amongst the most versatile. So far it's proved to be an excellent purchase, which is swaying my decision more and more toward the 70-200.

Which ever one I do decide upon it's certain to be another Sigma Ex series. Cracking lenses in my opinion. :)

Only trouble with the 70-200 is that it's not a "true" macro lens. Yes, it lets you focus closer than a standard lens, but only gives 1/3rd lifesize magnification, compared to full 1:1 magnification of a pure macro.

They're a good option if you only occasionally need close up focusing though. My Canon 24-105 does "macro" and a fag packet fills the frame, but for anything tiny - bugs, small jewellery and stuff, a proper macro is the way to go.

I posted some pics recently with it which were at the lenses "macro" setting.

Thanks for pointing that out Chippy. Having seen the excellent results yielded by the 150 on the nature photography forums, I thought I'd found the lens for me. It was only the current magazine adverts for the Macro? 70-200 that caused some hesitation but as you pointed out the magnification ratios blow that idea. :(

I should have realised sooner, you don't get something for nothing.

It must surely be all the premature signs of Spring that have kick started Macro discussions. :)