Can't update Windows Defender

Peter Sharpe

I've just discovered that file definitions in Windows Defender hasn't been updated since the beginning of February, although it had been showing that everything was up to date. When I went into Windows update though, it reported a long list of failure updates. I only noticed this by pure chance when investigating another problem with Media Player.

As I think the original was a beta version, I uninstalled it and re-installed a new version of Windows Defender and guess what - it was unable to complete an update. It failed to do it even when I turned off Zone Alarm, so there is no problem there. I am getting sick of all the hassle with the latest version of XP (Media Edition). Has anybody else suffered this or come up with a solution? I've been onto Microsoft's Help facility and when keying in either 0x80240022 (the error code), or Defender update failed, it comes back saying"sorry, no topics on this subject were found".

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Does the link in the second post here help?

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare...40&SiteID=2

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Does the link in the second post here help?

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare...40&SiteID=2

After much more searching around, I came across a post in a forum advising me to go into Start | Run | then type in services.msc

Look for Background Intelligent Transfer Service in the list, then double click on it. The information came up that it was in Stopped mode, so I was able to change it to run automatically. I have absolutely no idea how this could have happened, although one person suggested that a Trojan might possibly be responsible. I do remember having an alert a few weeks ago, but it seemed to have been dealt with.

Anyway, I have now installed my updates and re-installed Defender. The Microsoft site was worse than useless at finding any help from its search function. Whatever I put in, it came up with a no topics found message.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.