Warren Pond, Epping Forest

BoozleBear

Like gorton it is years since I fished Warren Pond, back in the 1960's in fact. There were loads of stunted tench in there then and I remember one morning before school fishing from 4 am until 6.45am catching 24 tench but the largest was not much more than a 1lb. In those days it was tench or nothing to be honest. There tales of large carp but I never saw any evidence. It was very shallow and half of it was solid reeds. Like he says it is towards Chingford from Connaught Waters opposite the pub and the Queen Elizabeth Hunting Lodge overlooking Chingford Plain. In those days the cattle were allowed to roam free through the forest and on a still summers morning looking across the plain with the cattle half covered by mist it was like being on the African savannah to a young boy! The mystery of the lake was there as well with the mist coming off the water. Oh to be young again but with the knowledge that I have now!

I heard that the Tennis club he referred to is now something different, either a night club or rather exclusive sports club.

Edited by Waveney One

There tales of large carp but I never saw any evidence.

There used to be a museum across the road (Queen Elizabeth's Hunting Lodge) where a largish carp found dead in the margins of the Warren pond was displayed in a glass case.

(Likewise many years now since I visited this one of my boyhood haunts)

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust