Kimmeridge Report 03/02/07

overrun

Arrived later than planned but was on the water by 12.45pm, with the added bonus of not having to pay for the car park. The plan was to fish the tide up, either under the headland and out of the NE wind, or head across to Charnel if conditions allowed. The tide was well out and the bay full of low surf. Studied the water for some minutes and decided that the only route out was tight against the left side of the bay, beneath the Clavel Tower headland. Got on the water and paddled out a short distance, then right into the bay. There was a swell in the areas not showing surf and I really didn’t fancy anchoring. Pushed on further out but the swell just kept coming and the breeze was taking me out and across the bay quickly.

Not happy at all, so headed back into the lee of the headland to a couple of buoys that I’d spotted on the way out. Slow progress against the breeze, but made the buoys and tied up to the first, about 80 yards off the shore. The swell was much the same here, but as I had my back to it, didn’t trouble me too much! The breeze was a little less and I felt much happier. Lobbed out Rag and Sandeel into approx 10ft of water, kept getting snagged, didn’t loose any gear. Changed to just lowering over the side until bottomed, then put the rod in the holder, with the swell this was effectively jigged over the bottom.

gallery_10389_167_29862.jpg

After about 45mins got the tea out and sat supping my brew and contemplating the magnificent panorama. Then I noticed that my new (every expense spared) Shakespeare Euroboat was bent right over with the tip banging against the side of the Yak. Oh-err, the rods tip then promptly whipped round towards me…. fish on. Grabbed the rod and got to the reel just as it all went slack! Checked the hook with Rag on, blunt, as were most of those in the Yak tackle box. Found a slightly better one and back over the side with a double load of Rag. Another 45 minutes passed, switch the Fishfinder back on (was off in case it scared the fish!) odd, the depth was now 7ft. Definitely hadn’t drifted, and there was more shore visible, must check the EasyTide times again when I get back, sure it said just after 12.00 for LW, Poole entrance was approx 16.30.

I was holding the rod the next time when it went over. Good solid fight even with such a short length of line out. A pretty Ballan Wrasse. Thank you God I didn’t blank, pleasantly surprised with the size, not as big as it looks but about pound and a half. Gorgeous red colours, the picture doesn’t do it justice.

gallery_10389_167_6726.jpg

Fished on for a short time then headed back in for break. Was greeted by even less water at the slipway! Those EasyTide predictions were well off, surely must be practically the same as Poole entrance. A couple of surfing Kayakers had taken up position not far from where I had been fishing and were riding the surf in from time to time. That looked like fun. Having deduced the tides were wrong, I’d lost the urge on the fishing front, so unloaded the Yak of all but the Fishfinder and headed back out.

A word of advice, don’t try this at Kimmeridge without company and ideally wear a Helmet, as the bottom is Slate with jagged edges, barnacles and stones. I exchanged pleasantries with the two surfers, not sure what they made of my great tanker compared with their dainty mounts. Proceeded to experiment with paddling through the surf, as you would from a shallow beach launch. Great! had the Prowler right under at one point. This was all too easy. Then on to surfing, missed a really good break, then picked up the next, must have covered at least 100 yards, ended up practically beached, excellent fun. Checked out the other guys to see if they had seen my run. Back for more, sadly the surf was decreasing and the two surfers headed in. I continued, moved further across the bay, which was not wise as the surf was only breaking because it was so shallow. Didn’t get any more good rides and eventually while trying to go sideways across the front of a break, the inevitable happened and over I went. Only waist deep, Prowler upside down, quick check to see if anyone was looking, then roll the Yak back over and get in before the next wave.

Called it a day on the surfing front and headed back to get my fishing gear. Spoke with a chap from the marine centre, car park will be shut at dusk or about 5.30pm, as it was then 4.45pm I packed up.

gallery_10389_167_2882.jpg

As with every trip and although this brief, much was learnt and I will be better prepared for the next visit.

2006 Launches: 8

2006 Species: 5

2007 Species: 19

2007 Launches: 42

2008 Species: 21

2008 Launches: 51

2009 Species: 24

2009 Launches: 47

2010 Launches 35

2010 Species 25

2011 Launches 23

2011 Species 20

Great report and pics overrun :thumbs: That looks a nice Wrasse.

Me and Martin fished up at Borth, West Wales,today and it looks as though the conditions were very similar with a flat sea but some reasonable swells putting a surf on the shallow beach making for an interesting landing.

Nice one :)

Hi Overrun

Great report - that is a nice ballan must have fought well. Not sure if the camera on this occassion has picked all the colours up.. did it have vivid red markings over white?* Have caught one of similar size and coloration in the past and thought it would make a fine candidate for a coldwater marine tank.

Whilst Poole has a double high tide, the Purbeck area has a double low. Sometimes the tides are off (happened to Zzippy and I once) although on this occassion Easytide may have been more accurate than perhaps you thought. If you check the tidal curve for todays prediction for Mupe Bay (closest to Kimmeridge), it lists the first low tide at 12.30 and not the second, low tide later in the afternoon. We're on spring tides at the moment so the effect of the double low tide will have been more pronounced. When preparing for a trip I tend to now look at the tidal curve for a given area as well as the times. Not sure how long Easytide has been offering it, but I noticed they now offer a listing for Poole Harbour which gives the 1st and 2nd high tide times.

edit * I must learn to read you mentioned it had gorgeous colours :D

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Arrived later than planned but was on the water by 12.45pm, with the added bonus of not having to pay for the car park. The plan was to fish the tide up, either under the headland and out of the NE wind, or head across to Charnel if conditions allowed. The tide was well out and the bay full of low surf. Studied the water for some minutes and decided that the only route out was tight against the left side of the bay, beneath the Clavel Tower headland. Got on the water and paddled out a short distance, then right into the bay. There was a swell in the areas not showing surf and I really didn’t fancy anchoring. Pushed on further out but the swell just kept coming and the breeze was taking me out and across the bay quickly.

Not happy at all, so headed back into the lee of the headland to a couple of buoys that I’d spotted on the way out. Slow progress against the breeze, but made the buoys and tied up to the first, about 80 yards off the shore. The swell was much the same here, but as I had my back to it, didn’t trouble me too much! The breeze was a little less and I felt much happier. Lobbed out Rag and Sandeel into approx 10ft of water, kept getting snagged, didn’t loose any gear. Changed to just lowering over the side until bottomed, then put the rod in the holder, with the swell this was effectively jigged over the bottom.

gallery_10389_167_29862.jpg

After about 45mins got the tea out and sat supping my brew and contemplating the magnificent panorama. Then I noticed that my new (every expense spared) Shakespeare Euroboat was bent right over with the tip banging against the side of the Yak. Oh-err, the rods tip then promptly whipped round towards me…. fish on. Grabbed the rod and got to the reel just as it all went slack! Checked the hook with Rag on, blunt, as were most of those in the Yak tackle box. Found a slightly better one and back over the side with a double load of Rag. Another 45 minutes passed, switch the Fishfinder back on (was off in case it scared the fish!) odd, the depth was now 7ft. Definitely hadn’t drifted, and there was more shore visible, must check the EasyTide times again when I get back, sure it said just after 12.00 for LW, Poole entrance was approx 16.30.

I was holding the rod the next time when it went over. Good solid fight even with such a short length of line out. A pretty Ballan Wrasse. Thank you God I didn’t blank, pleasantly surprised with the size, not as big as it looks but about pound and a half. Gorgeous red colours, the picture doesn’t do it justice.

gallery_10389_167_6726.jpg

Fished on for a short time then headed back in for break. Was greeted by even less water at the slipway! Those EasyTide predictions were well off, surely must be practically the same as Poole entrance. A couple of surfing Kayakers had taken up position not far from where I had been fishing and were riding the surf in from time to time. That looked like fun. Having deduced the tides were wrong, I’d lost the urge on the fishing front, so unloaded the Yak of all but the Fishfinder and headed back out.

A word of advice, don’t try this at Kimmeridge without company and ideally wear a Helmet, as the bottom is Slate with jagged edges, barnacles and stones. I exchanged pleasantries with the two surfers, not sure what they made of my great tanker compared with their dainty mounts. Proceeded to experiment with paddling through the surf, as you would from a shallow beach launch. Great! had the Prowler right under at one point. This was all too easy. Then on to surfing, missed a really good break, then picked up the next, must have covered at least 100 yards, ended up practically beached, excellent fun. Checked out the other guys to see if they had seen my run. Back for more, sadly the surf was decreasing and the two surfers headed in. I continued, moved further across the bay, which was not wise as the surf was only breaking because it was so shallow. Didn’t get any more good rides and eventually while trying to go sideways across the front of a break, the inevitable happened and over I went. Only waist deep, Prowler upside down, quick check to see if anyone was looking, then roll the Yak back over and get in before the next wave.

Called it a day on the surfing front and headed back to get my fishing gear. Spoke with a chap from the marine centre, car park will be shut at dusk or about 5.30pm, as it was then 4.45pm I packed up.

gallery_10389_167_2882.jpg

As with every trip and although this brief, much was learnt and I will be better prepared for the next visit.

As usual overrun great report. Well **** that I could not make it today. Oh by the way wifey fells a lot better now :wallbash:

Hoping to get the prowler wet tomorrow though :clap2:

Hi Overrun

Great report - that is a nice ballan must have fought well. Not sure if the camera on this occassion has picked all the colours up.. did it have vivid red markings over white?* Have caught one of similar size and coloration in the past and thought it would make a fine candidate for a coldwater marine tank.

Whilst Poole has a double high tide, the Purbeck area has a double low. Sometimes the tides are off (happened to Zzippy and I once) although on this occassion Easytide may have been more accurate than perhaps you thought. If you check the tidal curve for todays prediction for Mupe Bay (closest to Kimmeridge), it lists the first low tide at 12.30 and not the second, low tide later in the afternoon. We're on spring tides at the moment so the effect of the double low tide will have been more pronounced. When preparing for a trip I tend to now look at the tidal curve for a given area as well as the times. Not sure how long Easytide has been offering it, but I noticed they now offer a listing for Poole Harbour which gives the 1st and 2nd high tide times.

edit * I must learn to read you mentioned it had gorgeous colours :D

Mupe bay, that's the one, Swanage times would have been more appropriate, thanks for explaining the double bottom bit Speciman. Tidal curves it is then!

2006 Launches: 8

2006 Species: 5

2007 Species: 19

2007 Launches: 42

2008 Species: 21

2008 Launches: 51

2009 Species: 24

2009 Launches: 47

2010 Launches 35

2010 Species 25

2011 Launches 23

2011 Species 20