Pier5.jpg

Pier4.jpg

Never knew there was a previous pier until I seen your post. Cheers :thumbs:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Nice pics snatcher its good to have the old with the new. It's a very interesting topic and i never knew about the pier being what it was all those years ago until i seen an old postcard from 1895.I've got a few postcards showing the pier from different angles.I've heard of people fishing the foundations for pollack in the summer.float fishing with sandeel or ragworm but you've got to go when the sea is flat mirror style on a very big tide.As it is very dodgy for rouge waves creeping up the flat ledges and the swell from ships coming into the Tyne.But i can see the potential it'll be like a mini Atlantis down there with all the old blocks from the pier and the submerged foundations but you've got to give yourself plenty time for walking on and off.Cheers again for posting those up ;):thumbs:

It was my pleasure mate :thumbs: I intend to do another photoshoot on a big spring tide so this thread should resurface in the not too distant future :rolleyes:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

This is a better pic of the pier after the seas had breach the back wall and some what "Broke/broken pier" :oops: .I'm not sure when this photo was taking but the postmark on the postcard is 1906 the pier was finished in 1909 so this photo must be from an earlier date??...

tynemouthpierstormlashedt9.jpg

I've just found this bit of info on the net which explains a few things that happened before the completion of the pier in 1909.

The north pier at the mouth of the Tyne was finally completed in 1895 after over 40 years of work in dangerous conditions. The most significant delay came in 1867 when nearly 300ft of the pier's sea wall collapsed during a heavy storm. However, in 1897—only two years after its completion—the pier was damaged once more in a storm when a further 109ft of the pier was washed away. The curve of the pier was righted after this and the pier has stood firm every since.

The building of the 2 great Piers at Tynemouth began in 1854 and the picture below was taken about 1893, not long before the completion of the first North Pier in 1895. The great storm of 1897 breached the Pier and it was redesigned and rebuilt to be completed 14 years later.

tynemouthpiercurversectix8.jpg

Edited by Onenil

OI OI,

What a bloody interesting topic can i add my thanks to ONENIL & SNATCHER. brilliant look foward to more.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite

OI OI,

What a bloody interesting topic can i add my thanks to ONENIL & SNATCHER. brilliant look foward to more.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Good to see your appreciation Merlino Bill i see your from Newcastle,so you've more then likely fished the pier.It amazes me that i didn't know anything about the history of the pier until i done a bit research.It would be interesting to see some photos or postcards of the pier being built.Its good to see that the pier has never been seriously damaged again after nearly 100 years.But i'll be adding to this thread like Snatcher is, he can do the new and i'll do the old. HA!

If you look at this newish pic of the pier from 2003 you can see the different colour in the stone from the old pier to the new,its just after the curved piece of the foundations on the left 2/3 up the pier.If you notice the sea wall the old rail track that sits on top of the sea wall comes to a stop were the new part of the pier carries on to run straight out instead of curving.

tynemouthpierarialviewiq3.jpg

This is another old photo, i found this is a little bit off topic but it's interesting for all the anglers who fish this mark.Its situated at the north end of Tynemouth long sands and its name is fitting for the photograph as the skeer is called "Boiler skeer".The boiler is all that remains of the ship and can still be seen today dumped at the top of the skeer it looks like a big boulder but on close inspection you'll notice that it's a big rusting hulk of metal.

tynemouthboilerskeercc3.jpg

OI OI,

I have a peice of useless information for you one nil, did you know the mouth of the tyne as you come in both sides there are loads of rocks that has sunk more than it's fair share of ships in days gone by you have to come in strait up the middle till you reach north shield fish quay,

no i havent fished it YET as im in the proccess of getting some sea gear to-gether to start with my son as im a course fisherman

it's because i swear a lot lol.

:headhurt::headhurt::headhurt::headhurt:

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite