Soft Plastics Article Draft #2

Newt

To be honest Newt, there are far too many "traditionalists" in the UK. I've lost count of the number of times I've turned up at a water with my lure kit, and some snotty match fisherman looks at me like I've got two heads. I see the questions forming in his mind "were's his put over pole? why hasn't he got a trolley with a seatbox the size of Guildford? were's his Carp bivvy? etc etc" :D

In all seriousness though, I think part of what is great about angling as a sport is the multitude of tackle and new ideas that can be used. Just because something isn't in a book or "accepted" it doesn't stop you from trying it (provided its legal and safe!).

I've been using soft plastic for a few years now, I've used everything from Crappie tubes to plastic shads and everything in between. I've caught mostly Pike and Perch, but I've also had Chub and large Roach on the small plastic insect type lures.

I'm always open to learning new fishing ideas, and although I wouldn't dream of ever using a Centrepin, I see no reason why someone couldn't successfully fish with soft plastic using one - soft plastics are just like any other form of bait!!!!

As for the comments about using any form of rod, why the hell not? My first fishing rod was a solid glass 7 foot spinning rod (heavy) and I used that for years for everything from spinning for mackerel to ledgering for Tench, and it never let me down.

Fishing is fishing, I enjoy just being at the waters edge (unless its bucketing it down like it is at the moment!)

Visit http://www.vstol.vstore.ca UK based suppliers of artificial lures for sea, game and coarse fishing!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all seriousness though, I think part of what is great about angling as a sport is the multitude of tackle and new ideas that can be used. Just because something isn't in a book or "accepted" it doesn't stop you from trying it

Damn right and the joy in angling is how you put the game together.

A mate was just relating how people were fishing side by side in Sydney Harbour for chopper tailor (common pelagic table fish) and not much was happening. This guy turns up with an ancient rusted outfit and a huge bubble float with a lure and three ounces of lead suspended under it. To everyones amusement he plonks it way out then starts furiously cranking it back in. Smug smiles were soon gone - every cast a fish!

The big bubble float was having a teaser, popper effect prompting otherwise shutdown fish to curiousity then a competitive/opportunistic strike. The guy cleaned up! Granted it was done with a complete lack of grace, but there is a lesson there.

Part of the beauty of the sport is in the hybridising. Coming up with new, better ways to get scales on the deck may make you look like a tosser a lot of the time, but when it all comes together - you become a friggin legend!

I'm still sorting out how I'm going to put this technique I've got in mind together, but the idea is to use SP's combined with American steelhead 'pinning' tactics and gear.This could leave me with egg running down the face, through the beard and bling bling and into my magnificent hairy chest, but at least I will have fun trying.

:)

Indeed varp - the float option can be deadly. I dunno about OZ (and almost certainly the Brits will not) but US anglers use purpose made 'popper floats' for doing exactly what your old fella with the old gear did in both salt and fresh water.

91125.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hah!.....and I thought I'd seen it all!!!

I did not know that Newt. Just goes to show there is nothing new. Scratch hard enough and you will find a well trodden path.

I do dips me lid to the Yanks though. They are an extraordinarily inventive and passionate lot about their fishing, but then I equally dips me lid to GB. The Poms have given a depth and meaning to the sport that I have always appreciated.

It keeps me warm when I see how angling has been hijacked by the manufacturers and all it's attendant bum fluffery.

:)

Edited by varp