work of art in action

Alan Taylor

What kind of reel are you using exactly if I may ask? I've only been fishing for about a year now and I'm not very knowledgeable about fishing gear I'm afraid. I'm using a Shimano Symetre front drag spinning reel as the guy who sold it to me convinced me it was pretty good. What a sucker am I eh? :D

Marcel Boogaard:

Hi Marcel,

firstly welcome to Anglers Net.

The reel is a Abu 7000. I don't know anything about the Shimano that you are using.

I brought the rod first, hand made and specially for Bass fishing, as I mentioned earlier I felt that such a rod deserved the best (IMHO)reel on the market so I went strait for the Abu.

The rod and reel are a match made in heaven, as it were.

It all comes down to the type of fishing that you do, after many years of sea and coarse fishing I have rods to match the job in hand, ie wrecking, plaice fishing, carp fishing etc etc. Let us know what type of fishing you do (I would suggest a new topic) and I am sure you will get loads of help from experienced anglers as opposed to magazines that are getting paid for selling gear.

The main point about the pics was the action of the rod, I could have been using my second hand 25 year old Mitcheal 624 and the rod would have felt just the same.

Start a new topic, give as much information as you can about your fishing and I am sure you will be astounded by the amount of advice that is available to you.

Look forward to hearing more from you and don't be shy about asking questions.

Good luck

Alan(nl)

ps, I spent a lot of money on the rod, reel and a boat to target Bass and I still have not caught one on rod and line :(:D this year though.

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Marcel - the Shimano Symetre is an excellent reel and the front drag one will, IMO, give better service.

Which one do you have and what about it doesn't suit you? May be a problem with the particular reel you bought or maybe you have a mis-match between the size and the sort of angling you want to do.

And the reel that Alan mentions is a medium duty level wind casting reel. Excellent reel but not suited to the same sort of fishing you would do with the particular Shimano you have. It's more of a light duty, short range fresh water reel. Excellent lure reel btw for lures to maybe an ounce or a little more.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Wow, thanks for the info guys! :) Actually, the Shimano suits me just fine, it's just that I bought it for three reasons:

1) I thought it looked pretty cool

2) I have Shimano stuff on my bike

3) The salesguy told me it was good

Neither one of which is a valid reason for buying it, that's why I feel I'm still a bit of a sucker when it comes to buying fishing gear. :D Thanks for the tip though, I'll post a new topic sometime but first I better dig into all the info that's already on here.