Freezer Bait

Polly

do boilies need to go back in freezer after being air dried or will the keep (as shlef life) without being re-frozen?

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

do boilies need to go back in freezer after being air dried or will the keep (as shlef life) without being re-frozen?

The whole point of air drying is to preserve the baits. Keep them dry and they will be fine stored at room temperature.

Don't however be lulled into thinking air dry baits = nuisance fish proof. They are whilst rock hard but rehydrate quickly in water and in some cases go softer than fresh baits. In my experience air drys become soft in a couple of hours but it may well depend on the exact bait you are using. I would however suggest you test it out at home in a glass of water to check.

Rob.

The whole point of air drying is to preserve the baits. Keep them dry and they will be fine stored at room temperature.

Don't however be lulled into thinking air dry baits = nuisance fish proof. They are whilst rock hard but rehydrate quickly in water and in some cases go softer than fresh baits. In my experience air drys become soft in a couple of hours but it may well depend on the exact bait you are using. I would however suggest you test it out at home in a glass of water to check.

Rob.

That's great Rob, thanks !!!! so although they contain no preservatives will still keep (after drying) at room temperature in my bait cupboard. Wifey is forever whinging about not having enough space in the freezer due to copious kilos of boilies so I can air dry the lot and store in plastic type sealed containers without worrying about them going off.

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

That's great Rob, thanks !!!! so although they contain no preservatives will still keep (after drying) at room temperature in my bait cupboard. Wifey is forever whinging about not having enough space in the freezer due to copious kilos of boilies so I can air dry the lot and store in plastic type sealed containers without worrying about them going off.

I would advise you keep them in something like a mesh bag, old pillow case - something where if they sweat they won't go moldy. I bought a second freezer for my bait which lives in the garage. I would much rather use frozen baits than air dried, but that's maybe because I've never really found a bait that I was happy with after air drying, but I know loads of people do very well with them.

Rob.