South West Sea Kayaking

Mark Rainsley

Hi there...I was reminded of you lot when I made a visit to the fishmongers at Lulworth Cove today. I really must fish more...

Anyway, I hope this is of interest to you. I'm working on a sea kayaking guide to the SW coast this year, I've been keeping note of my progress here...

http://www.southwestseakayaking.co.uk

The book is following on from the already-published 'Scottish Sea Kayaking' and 'Welsh Sea Kayaking' (see http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/booksguidebooks.htm). I am primarily aiming the book at paddlers wanting to make journeys along the coast (descriptions/ tidal info/ maps/ etc.) but I would be very interested to know if there are any particular things that might be of interest to kayak fishermen. Any thoughts or feedback welcome.

Best wishes,

Mark Rainsley

Dorset

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to see you over on the dark side Mark :rolleyes: . I enjoy reading your blog and look forward to your new adventure and updates as they roll in.

The Welsh book by Jim and Andy is a real good reference for us Taffs and I for one really appreciate the work they put into it, why invent the wheel when someone has paved the way for you to follow and add to.

It would be good if the forum members from both boards crossed over now and then. I have learned a lot from the UKRGB over the last year and think we could all take something from both sides.

Anyway, keep up the good work and enjoy your new journey wherever it may take you.

May your waters be calm and blue and the wind and tide on your stern.

GB

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

Quote:

Proper’ sea kayakers have been known to sniff at sit-on-tops. However, a sense of perspective is required here. Sit-on-tops are cheap, accessible and unthreatening craft with which to first enjoy the sea and learn the basic skills. More crucially, the people who paddle them are the future of our sport. Sit-on-tops outsell all other types of kayak by a big margin. If we choose to exclude these folk, then they may eventually become an unenlightened burden on the marine environment (and maybe even the emergency services). However, if we put aside our prejudices and be nice to these folk, then today’s sit-on-top novice could be tomorrow’s expedition sea kayaker; one of us. This can’t be a bad thing.

A rather sneering quote from your text I think!

I have paddled both types of craft (and a few more) and feel much safer on a sit on top at sea!. I have no compulsion to be "accepted" by folk such as yourself who by writing a pile of limited knowledge crap trap to try and sell another readily available book on sea kayaking. If you want a job and are obviously very intelligent, try McDonalds, if you havn't already.

Imagine if I quoted, in a "on-line" article that fibreglass SIS sea kayaks are " fragile, unstable, deathtraps that you may not be able to get out of or back into when turned over by a wave" Silly isn't it?.

I personally don't want your book, of which there is multitude to choose from already, biased advice from a too young kayaker or to have to read on this fine kayak fishing forum, links to what is basically a plug for your up and coming job avoiding book writing! ~~~~~~~~ Apart from that, good luck with it! :thumbs:

A bit harsh maybe Dave ??

In all fairness that text was on a blog and not dierected at the yak fishing comunity. We are the exception to the rule when it comes to safety gear and planning whilst using sit on tops. A lot of sot paddlers out there use them as an introduction into sea kayaking.

Personally I dont take offence to the post on the blog or from any of the responses that were posted there after.

Mark has done many interesting trips around the coast so will undoubtly have all the material he needs to write the book.

ATB

GB

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

A rather sneering quote from your text I think!

I have paddled both types of craft (and a few more) and feel much safer on a sit on top at sea!. I have no compulsion to be "accepted" by folk such as yourself who by writing a pile of limited knowledge crap trap to try and sell another readily available book on sea kayaking. If you want a job and are obviously very intelligent, try McDonalds, if you havn't already.

Imagine if I quoted, in a "on-line" article that fibreglass SIS sea kayaks are " fragile, unstable, deathtraps that you may not be able to get out of or back into when turned over by a wave" Silly isn't it?.

I personally don't want your book, of which there is multitude to choose from already, biased advice from a too young kayaker or to have to read on this fine kayak fishing forum, links to what is basically a plug for your up and coming job avoiding book writing! ~~~~~~~~ Apart from that, good luck with it! :thumbs:

Deeply, deeply funny, that's brightened my day. Thank you for sharing your perspective, your points are taken on board.

Best wishes,

Mark

Deeply, deeply funny, that's brightened my day. Thank you for sharing your perspective, your points are taken on board.

Best wishes,

Mark

That went well :thumbs:

Good man, just passed the "I can take it test" :thumbs:

Good luck with the book :clap2:

Dave

A bit harsh maybe Dave ??

In all fairness that text was on a blog and not dierected at the yak fishing comunity. We are the exception to the rule when it comes to safety gear and planning whilst using sit on tops. A lot of sot paddlers out there use them as an introduction into sea kayaking.

Personally I dont take offence to the post on the blog or from any of the responses that were posted there after.

Mark has done many interesting trips around the coast so will undoubtly have all the material he needs to write the book.

ATB

GB

Yeah GB you're right, just poking the hornets nest to see if anything nasty comes out, clearly not! Like you say our particular community is somewhat different to the beach paddler. I just hate being type cast as a newbie just because I ride a SOT. I was probably sea kayaking before the lad was born, both in sea kayaks and SOT's and have seen many changes (holds stones out in hand for grasshopper to snatch ha ha) I think you actually progress from the sight-seeing SIS yaks to the bespoke fishing yaks we all spend so much time setting up for the task in hand and consider them very safe (don't break up against rocks and can jump off / on with ease without fear of becoming trapped in an upside down SIS)

I could tell by his reaction though that the guy has no malice and it seems his intents are good so I wish him well with the book and his future travels :thumbs:

SDD~~~ :sun: