Lugworm, the new 'Black Gold'?

Sutton Warrior

Cant remember the last time I went to a pub. A 2ltr., bottle of Blackthorn Cider last me and my partner all week! I'm not trying to be a misery or point the finger, its just that I can find better things to spend my money on that gives me more satisfaction . . . like fishing :rolleyes:

If I'm getting decent quality worm, (blow lug by the way) I have no complaints, as I say, I pay £4.50 for 10 'King Rag', one worm = one bait, no problem. Its the 2" blow lug offerings so often dished up constituting 30-40% of the 100 that I object to and the rest are rarely more than 3-4". Mention it to the shop, its take it or leave it??? So these days I rarely use worm in the winter, preferring squid, my mates still buy blow lug, and invariably end up using my squid, its a good job I take enough on the boat. I keep a freezer well stoked, and usually take 6 to 7lbs to allow for the other two anglers. Normally I will restock 2lbs, but if we have a red letter day, that can all go! Not unusual to have a few worm left at the end of a trip!

Crabs I can manage, we have a good foreshore that has enough. And green hard backs, get enough of them in an hour to keep us all going when we go for the Smoothounds. Just been told the first of the smoothies are showing . . . bit early, and they are small, late April will see things start to get moving.

Then its June and Tope, used frozen mackerel last year to good effect, been hard to find the schools to feather fresh in recent years. So thats another stock from the freezer, to go when we like. Its only 'King Rag' I have to be beholden to the tackle shop for, no king rag, ah well, use the ordinary stuff then. Rag in my area is usually tolerably OK, some times its even good to excellent!!! and the farmed stuff, we love it, big lively, tough and it fishes as well as the natural dug stuff.

'Sutton W'

Cant remember the last time I went to a pub. A 2ltr., bottle of Blackthorn Cider last me and my partner all week! I'm not trying to be a misery or point the finger, its just that I can find better things to spend my money on that gives me more satisfaction . . . like fishing :rolleyes:

If I'm getting decent quality worm, (blow lug by the way) I have no complaints, as I say, I pay £4.50 for 10 'King Rag', one worm = one bait, no problem. Its the 2" blow lug offerings so often dished up constituting 30-40% of the 100 that I object to and the rest are rarely more than 3-4". Mention it to the shop, its take it or leave it??? So these days I rarely use worm in the winter, preferring squid, my mates still buy blow lug, and invariably end up using my squid, its a good job I take enough on the boat. I keep a freezer well stoked, and usually take 6 to 7lbs to allow for the other two anglers. Normally I will restock 2lbs, but if we have a red letter day, that can all go! Not unusual to have a few worm left at the end of a trip!

Crabs I can manage, we have a good foreshore that has enough. And green hard backs, get enough of them in an hour to keep us all going when we go for the Smoothounds. Just been told the first of the smoothies are showing . . . bit early, and they are small, late April will see things start to get moving.

Then its June and Tope, used frozen mackerel last year to good effect, been hard to find the schools to feather fresh in recent years. So thats another stock from the freezer, to go when we like. Its only 'King Rag' I have to be beholden to the tackle shop for, no king rag, ah well, use the ordinary stuff then. Rag in my area is usually tolerably OK, some times its even good to excellent!!! and the farmed stuff, we love it, big lively, tough and it fishes as well as the natural dug stuff.

'Sutton W'

:clap2: There has always been a market for good quality bait and if the supply is reliable shops will pay a premium, which is passed on to the customer. It is not an option for me to dig or collect my own bait so I have to rely on a shop, usually it's OK but sometimes I'm let down then it's an evening or a day wasted. I'm happy to pay for quality and reliability but sometimes either the bait doesn't turn up or it's of inferior quality, then I don't go fishing. No point in handicapping yourself before you start. :schmoll:

B)-->

QUOTE(Norm B @ Mar 21 2007, 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:clap2: There has always been a market for good quality bait and if the supply is reliable shops will pay a premium, which is passed on to the customer. It is not an option for me to dig or collect my own bait so I have to rely on a shop, usually it's OK but sometimes I'm let down then it's an evening or a day wasted. I'm happy to pay for quality and reliability but sometimes either the bait doesn't turn up or it's of inferior quality, then I don't go fishing. No point in handicapping yourself before you start. :schmoll:

Quality bait, could not agree more. Personally I think I am getting things decanted down to winter and spring bait, I can provide my self with sufficient to make it worth my while to go fishing, with out being beholden to a third party. Summer, is different, rag worm is more consistent in the shop, therefore better value. However, with the success we had last year with frozen mackerel, we can almost cut the strings entirely??? We have always been told 'frozen mackerel does not work' . . . ????

The tackle shops cant be doing themselves any favours, I cant be the only one who sees it this way????

'Sutton W'

Guest muttley
B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norm B @ Mar 21 2007, 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->:clap2: There has always been a market for good quality bait and if the supply is reliable shops will pay a premium, which is passed on to the customer. It is not an option for me to dig or collect my own bait so I have to rely on a shop, usually it's OK but sometimes I'm let down then it's an evening or a day wasted. I'm happy to pay for quality and reliability but sometimes either the bait doesn't turn up or it's of inferior quality, then I don't go fishing. No point in handicapping yourself before you start. :schmoll:

Quality bait, could not agree more. Personally I think I am getting things decanted down to winter and spring bait, I can provide my self with sufficient to make it worth my while to go fishing, with out being beholden to a third party. Summer, is different, rag worm is more consistent in the shop, therefore better value. However, with the success we had last year with frozen mackerel, we can almost cut the strings entirely??? We have always been told 'frozen mackerel does not work' . . . ????

The tackle shops cant be doing themselves any favours, I cant be the only one who sees it this way????

'Sutton W'

No Warrior you aren't the only one that sees it that way. I got fed up with the quality of the worms so I only use squid for cod and bass. I pick my own crabs and as for the frozen mackerel...last year I had 2 double figure bass on frozen AMMO mackerel, 2 tope over 45lb, loads of smaller tope on it(also done rather well on eel section) and I just use a drop net for hermits for the hounds. Look in the bucket bottom left....mackerel and eels

post-8921-1174594954_thumb.jpg

when your bait is poor quality and the shop "try it on" hoping you'll not complain.But i've had tackle shop owners trying to sell me dead stinking crab and burst dead worms among the alive ones.The best thing to do is check your bait before you leave the shop.

Thsi is uasualy a ploy used for the holiday makers, I have come accross this in tackle shops down chesil way/swanage. they dissapear in to the back and come out with it already wrapped.

They get quite annoyed when you ask to see it (a sure sign of guilt) normaly followed by the excuse "thats all we got left mate"

I now ask what is the quality of your worm? this normaly gets you to the better stuff normaly reserved for the local and regulars.

another good question is "is you bait dragged up or hand selected" again a good guide to quality bait.

Once you find a good supplier its plain sailing from there and once you become a regular it gets better.

regards

PhilC

Ask a question and be a fool for 5 minutes! Never ask a question and be a fool for life! .

A blind person who sees is better than a seeing person who is blind.