Malibu 2..? No thaks!

izzetafox

I know you expect a wet ride when kayaking but the Malibu 2 seems to take that a bit too far... :schmoll:

Or am I being unfair?

At the weekend I was involved in a charity event in the Lake District. The best part was going to be kayaking on Windermere. Well after 5 hours of leg breaking cycling amd walking in Grizedale Forest the time came for the kayaking.

As a team of six we were allocated three Malibu 2's. Now out of the six I was the only one with any yakking experience, albeit on my Tobago.

First impression was that with two men and 27 stone in it it sits awfully low in the water :o

As we got paddling all seemed reasonable although the water was lapping at the top of the scupper holes and gently trickling around my bum.

As soon as we got into some chop a lot of the waves that hit us broadside from the big pleasure boats, were coming over the side. Personally I never felt in any danger but the novices were twitching to say the least.

I know the guys were newbies but they had a hell of a problem keeping a straight course, the Malibus seemed very unforgiving of less than perfect paddling.

I also realised the benefit of having a back rest in the Tobago, after a couple of hours hard work we were all aching.

The scariest bit was as we returnted to the start point....althought I had been on and off the yak at various points to electronically register, the return was a continuous 45 minute paddle against the wind.

Wellllll....you know how when you sleep on your arm and you wake up and your arm is like jelly....as it was a timed event as we beached I leapt out of the yak to get to the timer point ...right leg hit the shore no problem left leg came forward hit the floor and .... crumpled...I fell arse over tip onto the shore and my considerate mates fell all over **** themselves with laughter. I guess I must have trapped a nerve or something.

Scary at first but funny when the feeling came back, however it is something I will bear in mind in future.

Best bit of the day glorious sunshine from dawn to dusk, our team stuffed the managers team and we had a 53 yr old, a 52, a 48 a 45 a heavy smoker and a lump of lard. Their average age was 35 and most were sporstmen. Of course we have let them forget it......like hell we have.

A great day and at least £63k raised for Age Concern.

Malibu??? No thank you!!

Fun on the beach maybe, but no good for any distance in a chop and I would only ever venture far solo to keep it high in the water but I guess paddling would be a pain then. I was tempted to get one...very pleased I got the Tobago now. :clap:

Edited by izzetafox

Kayak Angler

Prowler 13

http://coarsekayakfishing.proboards.com/index.cgi

ckf-1.png

• 6 months later...
I paddled one on holiday last summer, there was no way my legs fitted in the footwells, they were hanging over the side!

in the malibu two xl defence i must say im very pleased with mine! im six foot tall and not slightly built either and theres loads of leg room in it for me , but then i can always ajust the seat position!

also for space and stability i think its hard to beat. ive been out on rough seas and headwinds and find the malibu very manouverable and cuts through the water easily enough. ive paddled an ok big game and id prefer my malibu anyday.plus i can go out with my son and daughter if the weathers nice and still sit in comfort.

id be hard pressed to do that on a dedicated angler model and yet i can do everything an angler model does too.

though as with most things - its always down to personal choice and OPINION.

wish id a bigger paddle though lol.

in the malibu two xl defence i must say im very pleased with mine! im six foot tall and not slightly built either and theres loads of leg room in it for me , but then i can always ajust the seat position!also for space and stability i think its hard to beat. ive been out on rough seas and headwinds and find the malibu very manouverable and cuts through the water easily enough. ive paddled an ok big game and id prefer my malibu anyday.plus i can go out with my son and daughter if the weathers nice and still sit in comfort.id be hard pressed to do that on a dedicated angler model and yet i can do everything an angler model does too.though as with most things - its always down to personal choice and OPINION.wish id a bigger paddle though lol.
We were talking about the Malibu 2, not the XL.Why are you digging up antique threads?

Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Flame

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro Flame

We were talking about the Malibu 2, not the XL.Why are you digging up antique threads?

antique threads? lol sorry i thought all threads were relevant and i was just browsing ALL the posts. and as i own a malibu two xl which is only slightly longer but basically the same i thought id reply .

just my opinion of course lol dont take the hump mate .

i wouldnt even consider taking anyone out with me fishing on the big malibu,girl friend capsized us one day on a lake and couldnt get back on !! would have been a disaster a mile out at sea so its solo for me when im chasing the fish.

then i only have to worry about myself lol. :rolleyes:

For a family fun yak I think the Tobago is a great bit of kit. Canals, rivers and lakes are superb even a bit of fun close inshore and the surf. I often have me and the misses and 2 grand kids on it with no problem.

I would rather have that than the Malibu 2, but hey it's what you like not what I like that matters.

They are much criticised here and on other fishing forums but they should be looked at as what they are....'fun yaks'.

If you want a fishing yak then buy a Prowler. But you won't be able to go 4 up. :-)

Kayak Angler

Prowler 13

http://coarsekayakfishing.proboards.com/index.cgi

ckf-1.png