Contract Wording

MarkSpod

Hi Chap's I am currently trying to assist one of the contractors at our work to create a written contract.

Basically he has supplied the company with cleaners, and cleaning products for the last 5 years on a rolling verbal agreement/contract, but has now been asked to supply a written contract. I have searched the net but am unable find any site that may assist in the wording.

Not having ever written a contract I am struggling.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated,

Thanks

The next one will be a biggy

The best advice possible is get hold of a lawyer, it will cost money, but both parties to the contract will then have something they can rely on if ever there is a dispute.

If you choose not to go down that road then bear the following mind.

You need to include all the terms of the contract, may seem obvious, but you need to work out all the details. What are the EXACT services being supplied, who will carry out the duties (can he send anyone he wants, or does he have to do it himself?) Who supplies machinery, cleaning materials etc When will it be carried out? Is it fixed price per job, or by day, or hourly rate?

Include what action will be taken if there is a material breach of contract.

As to layout, first state who are the contracting parties.

Then a clear summary of what the contract is for

Then the details

Do it in a logical order. Number your paragraphs - makes it easier to refer to.

Any agreement can be a contract they don't even need to be in writing, however any written contract will be taken as evidence of the entireity of the contract and anything left unsaid that should be said will only make the lawyers fat :)

Whan both parties are happy with the contract get it signed by both, each party keep one copy.

But get a lawyer :D

or if you have any other contractors you could take a peak at their contracts and then plagarise like crazy...

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

Thanks for that, I have just been speaking to him on the phone, the weird thing is he also has a similar agreement for a large hotel chain i.e. no formal contract, and is now worrying he may be about to lose his livlyhood.

Your right in so much as there is more to a contract than meets the eye. He has meeting next week with a big chief so I guess they may well tell him what it can and can not contain.

Thanks for the speedy advice, which I will pass on.

The next one will be a biggy

I helped to create the contracts that we use at work. This was all based on existing documents that had been drawn up by our solicitor initially. In principle all you need is a standard terms & conditions for supply and add in a period of supply. Contracts are a two way thing so find out what he wants to ensure is in the contract for supply and what he is prepared to do if thing get a little out of shape (no that they will).

One thing you can try doing, is looking at other companies T&C's online. There is going to millions to read through, find one that pertain to his business and see if it fits. Of course i'm suggesting you copy it and if your not sure, get a solictor.