carp method

carphead07

hello all

i am struggling to find a good carp rig i was wondering if any one has any carp rigs to help me catch bigger carp

tight lines all

mike finlay :fishing1:

mike finlay the carpinator

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am struggling to find a good carp rig i was wondering if any one has any carp rigs to help me catch bigger carp

There no such thing as a good carp rig because if there was I would like to know what it is! :thumbs: It is all down to the tackle and the presentation of it.

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

OK ill take that back tell me a rig that catches allot of carp

the lake i want to catch carp at has silt bottom

thanks all

mike Finlay

OK ill take that back tell me a rig that catches allot of carp

the lake i want to catch carp at has silt bottom

thanks all

mike Finlay

Hi Mike

As the other guys have put, it is often the most simple of rigs that work, ie the Hair rig. I have caught carp on a simple float set up to various rigs like the zig rig, snowman rig and a like. Now i am not expert on knots and terminal rigs.

Heres my advice look through various mags and the internet, and choose a rig that you are comfortable with making and stick to it.

I use a claw rig, which is basically a hair rig but i use a short piece of shink wrap to to make a claw. There is probably a picture on the net or on here some where, if you search for it. On the hook I use one of those little rings to hold the bait in the right place.

Catching carp is just as much about getting to know the venue and what works, in terms of bait, time of day the carp feed and alike. A simple inline lead with a hair rig will catch just as much as the most complicated rig in the world if you are in the right place and using the right bait.

There is of course the argument that you should change your terminal set up to match the lake you are fishing and that has a vast amount of merit. Now i am no expert and i must admit that i use the method year in, year out as for me it meets all the requiremnets of bait presentation and alike and i am confident that i can catch with it.

So over all, my two pence would be chose a rig you are happy with and practice with it.

STC :thumbs:

It was the fish i tell you, they were talking to me !!!

so what you are saying is the most simple rigs can be the most effective ?

and that different rigs and baits work better in different venues ?

thanks smalltincup

Edited by carphead07

In a nut shell yes.

I have been fishing my local pond now for 18 months, i have tried all the swims and have tried different baits, rigs and times of year. What i have found is that there are a couple of good swims that you stand a better a chance of catching than others and that the fish prefer pellets and sweet corn, maize and luncheon meat but are not overly keen on bollies or pop ups.

Now i have not a vast amount of carping experience as my back ground is coarse fishing, but my advice would be as i have said find a rig you are happy with and stick to it. Locate a water you feel comfortable with and do your research( i started with a small pond with fish up to 32lb, my last trip out i managed a 24 lb leather), talk to other anglers, you will find that they are pretty happy to tell you what works or not. I normally go and visit a fishery and just walk around and keep your eyes open. Have a chat with the owners, they are the real source of info.

If you want to have a look at the rig i use i am gunna take a photo and put it on here sometime soon.

I hope that helps, if you want to know anything else let me know, cant promise i can answer your question but i can probabaly give you a couple of hints

STC :thumbs::thumbs:

It was the fish i tell you, they were talking to me !!!