Beginner needs help

geddon

Hi everyone

I started fishing on and off about 6 mnths ago but have'nt had much luck with float fishing.

I now want to try ledgering but i only have a 2 1/2 IB carp rod.I know how to set the rig up but i'm wondering without using a rod with a quiver tip will I be able to know when I have a bite?

I'm fishing for some carp which are around 11/12 IB inb a local pond.So will I know if I got a bite in time or do I need a quiver tip rod?

Thnx in advance :unsure:

Guest tigger
Hi everyone

I started fishing on and off about 6 mnths ago but have'nt had much luck with float fishing.

I now want to try ledgering but i only have a 2 1/2 IB carp rod.I know how to set the rig up but i'm wondering without using a rod with a quiver tip will I be able to know when I have a bite?

I'm fishing for some carp which are around 11/12 IB inb a local pond.So will I know if I got a bite in time or do I need a quiver tip rod?

Thnx in advance :unsure:

Use a polaris carp float.

Guest Rabbit

I take it you dont have any electronic bite alarms, if that is so the cheapest alternative is to when cast out, leave the bail arm open and attach a bit of silver paper or plasticine on the line between the reel and the rod rest. When a fish takes it will move the indicator up, close the bail arm. and then you can lift the rod to set the hook. Dont strike.

The rod should be parrallel to the bank, and the rod within reach to enable you to act quickly. You will need two rod rests or one if you place the butt of the rod in your lap.

You said you have not had any luck with the float. Perhaps you can explain how you are fishing it, might be something we can help you with.

Yep I've just seen some bobbin indicators on an online shop.I was wondering if the baitrunner on y reel would do the same job when it makes the clicking noise as for the indicator to move the baitrunner would have to make a noise.Or will this not be sensitive enough?

As regards to the float fishing I have had some luck with smaller fish but wanted to try something new to make a change:).

Yep I've just seen some bobbin indicators on an online shop.I was wondering if the baitrunner on y reel would do the same job when it makes the clicking noise as for the indicator to move the baitrunner would have to make a noise.Or will this not be sensitive enough?

As regards to the float fishing I have had some luck with smaller fish but wanted to try something new to make a change:).

Without the bobbin you wouldn't be able to see a drop back bite i.e. when the fish picks up the bait and moves towards your rod. Does your carp rod have a screw in tip for a quiver tip to be added? If it does then this would also be cheap... a few pounds probably.

Errrm

Guest Rabbit

I was wondering if you had a baitrunner, and yes the setting should be sensitive enough to indicate a run.

To be honest I am not much of a carp angler, and refuse to use buzzers, dont use them at all in any sort of fishing. I have seen countess carp anglers sitting behind their alarms, not catching ,and if only they were to rig up a float and fish the margins, then they would catch loads. Especially in the warmer months when oxyganated water and food is found in the margins.

Edited by Rabbit

Ok then i'm gonna buy a bobbin an see how it all works.

Yes like someone else said I don't want to use a bite alarm either I think it takes something away from the whole experience.

Might just invest in a quiver tip rod maybe.

Anyhow thanks for the help guys :)