How do you catch sole?

Stoaty

A light rod, two ounce drilled bullet weight, simple ledger, three foot trace. Small hook, bait depends on lacation, lug,rag, sliver of mackerel.

Nights , low tide, calm and warm, mid summer onwards.

Be very quiet, away from other anglers. Walk along the beach, cast close in,when you re-bait, walk on for a while, then cast again. Most fish are within 20yds of the beach.

Pick your spot where your going to target them then ask for local knowledge. I'm sure most of whats above will catch sole, but I wouldn't dream of fishing with 3' snoods for sole, mine wouldn't be longer than 6-9" on french booms, flood, ebb, lug, rag etc etc will change depending where your fishing. Choose your mark then re-ask your question "sole fishing at xxx"

Choose your mark then re-ask your question "sole fishing at xxx"

I think you missed the point of the thread. The question is "How do you catch sole?" When you go fishing for them.

There you go! We all catch Sole in a different way, depending on the venue etc. Angling would be boring if we were all doing the same thing.

As for a long trace, it gives the bait a more natural movement and feel. My preference. I wouldn't dream of using a 6 inch snood for anything. ;)

Edited by maidstonemike

There you go! We all catch Sole in a different way, depending on the venue etc. Angling would be boring if we were all doing the same thing.

As for a long trace, it gives the bait a more natural movement and feel. My preference. I wouldn't dream of using a 6 inch snood for anything. ;)

You should try it, you might catch more sole ;)

I think, what is natural to a sole is a small worm that has to be pulled out of it's hole. So I use a short trace and nail the bait to the bottom.

I remember when we used to go plaice fishing off Ventnor, I.O.W. Tides are fierce there. You had to use 1½lb leads and a 6" trace. It was worth it as they were all large plaice.