Whip advice

richjones

Hello there.

i am after some advice on whips.

the club stillwater that i fish at has a few deep pegs where some nice crucians and skimmers can be caught at only a couple of rod lengths out. i was wandering whether it would be worth investing in a cheap whip to increase my catch rate on these pegs, and so that i miss less bites.

im thinking 4 or 5 metres should be fine. I only really want to try this out so my budget isnt too high as of yet.

can anyone recommend a good starter whip? i know its against all rules of fishing but theres one iv seen in argos which is 6metre telescopic for 30 quid.

any help would be fantastic, thanks, Rich :thumbs:

Hello there.

i am after some advice on whips.

the club stillwater that i fish at has a few deep pegs where some nice crucians and skimmers can be caught at only a couple of rod lengths out. i was wandering whether it would be worth investing in a cheap whip to increase my catch rate on these pegs, and so that i miss less bites.

im thinking 4 or 5 metres should be fine. I only really want to try this out so my budget isnt too high as of yet.

can anyone recommend a good starter whip? i know its against all rules of fishing but theres one iv seen in argos which is 6metre telescopic for 30 quid.

any help would be fantastic, thanks, Rich :thumbs:

To be honest Rich , i'd avoid a whip and go for an elasticated pole - You can buy shorter 6m poles that will take elastic but i'd try and avoid a 'margin-carp' pole as they will be over-gunned and you at least want to give the fish a fighting chance ;) . An elasticated pole will help you if you do hit a bigger fish and i've had my biggest fish within a rods length from the bank so don't be tempted to fish too far out .

You could always go for a , say , 8 or 9 metre pole and just use 3 or 4 sections . This is what i use on my rare forays out with my pole .

check out these as examples - They're cheap , shorter elasticated poles

Shakespeare 5m pole

Tackle frenzy poles

Edited by nomadpaul

I had the same idea of getting a whip for the margins but instead when i got to my local tacle shop and had a look i found a 8m pole (not tele) which i still use for some canal work but at £20 you can't got wrong

ok thanks guys. i think maybe i should go for a 6 or 7 metre pole then as i guess one day the extra few metres will come in handy. do these cheap poles come already elasticated or not?

and what kind of length do they close down to?

Rich,its well worth paying a few quid more to get a take apart (as opposed to telescopic) whip.Makes it far more versatile and easier to play bigger fish.

Have a look on Ebay for a LEEDA Blue Diamond whipp with the 7 and 8m extensions or the very similar Alborrella (spelling?) or similar.Can pick them up for around £30. These will take a size 6 elastic ok.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!