testing transducer effectiveness

fishtr8

Hi all,

Thanks to all of the replies to my previous replies on fitting a fishfinder. With this info. and after many hours (?!) researching other posts on this forum I have bitten the bullet and fitted my fishfinder today! I think that it has all gone well so far, but have one final question which I hope someone can help with!

In order to have some flexibility in re-placement and permanancy of the transdcer I used Dow Corning silicon sealant, rather that epoxy, to fix my transducer in place (as recommended by many on this forum). However I am aware of the risk of the air bubbles in the silicon affecting the efficiency of the set up, therefore I am wondering if there is a means of testing for any problems in my fininshed set up prior to actually driving for 40 mins to a launch site and actually testing it there!

Any ideas would be welcome!

Cheers, fishtr8

tr8

Tarpon 140

The short answer is no! Not to my knowledge anyway.

Unless you got a very large bath or the use of a swimming pool. The beam needs to go through water to get a proper return.

Look on the bright side, you will have to go for a paddle/fish as soon as possible to make sure everything is working ok :thumbs:

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

Thanks for the reply GB. This is what I thought! Maybe someone on here will come up with something ingenius, but I have a feeling that I will just have to try it out on a fishing trip pretty soon!!

tr8

Tarpon 140

Thanks for the reply GB. This is what I thought! Maybe someone on here will come up with something ingenius, but I have a feeling that I will just have to try it out on a fishing trip pretty soon!!

Hi fishtr8

How did you put the silcon in place? I followed advice from here and cut the end off a full tube and squidged a BIG dollop in the kayak hull, then pushed it down gently and weighted it until it was dry (24 hours at least!) and it has worked brilliantly since!. This is the second time I have done this as the first one worked loose after a season or two, but I used to strap the yak down on the car differently then, and this probably made it work loose!. Since using J Bars on the motor, the silicon (BIGGER BLOB this time) seems to be holding very well!. The picture of the bottom is superb. I know this because I tried it out over known a reef that clears on the end of very high tides!. I am sure yours will be fine :thumbs: Don't try it out on very shallow water as you will get a false impression!.

All the best............Dave

SDD~~~~~ :sun: