Familiar venue / unfamiliar fishing

Shy Tangler

Finally managed to find a free weekend to dust off the Prowler and make my maiden voyage of 2007.

Fancied a nice easy launch for a first outing and opted for Kimmerige. This place usually produces bass and mullet on evening Spring tides but often fails to sparkle to bait fishing during the day. Arrived Saturday to the sight of a dozen charters sat off broad bench, but by the time I was ready to launch there were only two remaining. From their departure I assumed that the bream that this mark is noted for had gone off the boil, so opted for the long paddle to Chapman's Pool. This was a bit of a slog against the Easterly wind but was rewarded with some hectic sport from small pollack and gars to float fished mackerel and lures (wish I'd had the fly rod now :wallbash: ).

Sunday morning I got my arse in gear a bit earlier and set off towards 15 or so charter boats about a mile off the Bench. post-7715-1177880636_thumb.jpgI've always been a bit aprehensive about anchoring in this area as the tide can pick up quickly, but being neaps I decided to drop anchor in 35 ft of water. This saw me drift across the ledge into 55 ft and with the boat sitting comfortably in the tide, I dropped down a size 2/0 circle hook baited with a single mini calamari. It was only seconds before I got my first rattle, and BANG! first fish, a 2 lb bream decorated with amazing irridescent blues. I went on to get anothr 5 cock fish in the next hour, smallest 1 3/4lb, 4 over 2lb and the biggest 2.1/2lb ( a new pb :thumbs: ). post-7715-1177880603_thumb.jpg

Rather than be greedy, it was time to head back to the slip against the awesome backdrop of Gad Cliff. post-7715-1177880615_thumb.jpgIn summary - a great weekend and wow - what weather :clap2: !!!

Aidy

Yak: OK P13 (yellow)

Well Done mate! :clap2:

Good to see you back :thumbs:

Are you coming Toping this year? :rolleyes:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Great report and a cracking catch fair play. Those bream look well tasty :thumbs:

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

Well done Aidy.

I'm hoping to fish Chapmans Pool/St Albans area this weekend coming or the one after. Will try that area on the way back.

Best of luck Simon. Would love to join you but fully booked up this weekend.

Had a chat with some divers yesterday who told me they'd been catching big mackerel off Broad Bench from the dive boat, so there are a few around. We'll have to try and find a window when we're both available to have a go for the St Aldhelm's tope.

Yak: OK P13 (yellow)