VHF Channels

paintfly

SDD - I can only tell you what our instructor said when we took the course earlier this year, I haven't been lucky enough to get out since and put the info into practice but one item he left us in no doubt about , was that you should not use the radio from land? He was quite clear that we were taking a Maritime Radio Operators test or course ( not sure of terminology) i.e. it was marine and could only be used whilst on the water - we even joked with him about wading out to use it to contact other Kayakers to see where they were- to which we were told we couldn't! I don't know who's right but thats what we were told?

Even with the licences etc there are no legal channels, technically you cannot use the radio on land, you have to be on the water. I think!!

tell her to stand in a bucket of water then should be OK i think!!

cant be right about being on land when i worked on the trawlers we use to call up shore stations all the time..

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

I hold the certs for marine vhf as part of my job. It is NOT an offence to transmit from land! the shore Coastguard do it all the time. I transmit to our rangeboat from land (the range I work on is not floating!) It would be perfectly acceptable to contact your misses on a handheld to tell her you are coming back ashore, indeed the coastguard would encourage such a good £float plan" and the fact that someone ashore is looking out for you while you are out at sea. Listen to any fishing fleet channel and it is a constant chit-chat of what they are going to do when they return to port! and although I would not encourage this, it is certainly not against the law.

Channel 16, 0, a few other coastguard channels are reserved and action will be taken against anyone clogging these channels. Operating procedure and training for the short range cert stipulates that common sense is used for transmissions and idle chit chat is not recommended. Before posting what is or is not "against the law" please check first!

SDD~~~~ :sun:

Thanks for the clarification SDD :thumbs: There will be no idle chit-chat, I can assure you. Just the occasional update on my movements if I am out of line of sight or if she manages to burn the tent down. :rolleyes::D

SDD - I can only tell you what our instructor said when we took the course earlier this year, I haven't been lucky enough to get out since and put the info into practice but one item he left us in no doubt about , was that you should not use the radio from land? He was quite clear that we were taking a Maritime Radio Operators test or course ( not sure of terminology) i.e. it was marine and could only be used whilst on the water - we even joked with him about wading out to use it to contact other Kayakers to see where they were- to which we were told we couldn't! I don't know who's right but thats what we were told?

Sorry mate didn't mean you!

I have the cert too and my marine vhf set is located on terra firma!. I know that using handhelds between each other on land is not allowed, but "ship to shore" radio has been in practice for a long time. Our local aux. coastguard have 4X4 vehicles to relay info from shore / beach activities. I only made the comment about using a handheld on shore to a yak as I work alongside the coastguard / fisheries protection personnel as part of my job and I asked a member of the aux. c/guard about it and he made the comment about the float plan / monitoring a kayak at sea. He said the handsets are very short range (line of sight) and only useful for a few miles so any contact to confirm safety at sea, if done responsibly, would be perfectly acceptable. Different rules may apply to different areas so it would always be wise to check with your local c/guard anyway. They are a friendly bunch and always seem to welcome anything that can aid sea safety.

Hope I didn't offend you mate :thumbs:

all the best........dave

Dave,

None taken, just lookin forward to actually gettin out there and using mine!! Being able to use it would make life a lot easier - if your late arriving at the venue and the rest of the group are out there - makes finding them a whole lot easier & safer

Karl

Dave,

None taken, just lookin forward to actually gettin out there and using mine!! Being able to use it would make life a lot easier - if your late arriving at the venue and the rest of the group are out there - makes finding them a whole lot easier & safer

Karl

Brilliant stuff KK :thumbs:

Dont forget photo's to cheer us all up :clap2: I am off out today for a play, will post the outcome, however dire ha ha :thumbs:

Dave :sun:

I am sorry but still standby the stetement that you are not permitted to use a marine vhf from land unless you are licensed to do so!

In my earlier post I mentioned the Coastguard and Harbour / port authorities being able to do so. I suggest anyone believing they can use a VHF from land reads the Ofcom site and obtains a license for a shore to ship radio set. Like it says on there the use of radio equipment has to be controlled. Some land positions may interfere with hospital / surgery equipment and I remember when I had a CB radio it used to wipe out my neighbours tv set.

Please read the follwing and then state it is alright to use one from the shore!

DO NOT - "broadcast messages intended for reception onshore

(except through a Coastal Radio Station), other

than as stipulated in the Ship Radio licence"

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/lic...ation/of19a.pdf

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/lic...ations/of18.pdf

:thumbs:

Of course the coastgurd can trasmit from shore as they operate and have a Coastal Radio Station License.

Lets be clear on this as Kayakers need to be correct and safe!

I am sorry but still standby the stetement that you are not permitted to use a marine vhf from land unless you are licensed to do so!

In my earlier post I mentioned the Coastguard and Harbour / port authorities being able to do so. I suggest anyone believing they can use a VHF from land reads the Ofcom site and obtains a license for a shore to ship radio set. Like it says on there the use of radio equipment has to be controlled. Some land positions may interfere with hospital / surgery equipment and I remember when I had a CB radio it used to wipe out my neighbours tv set.

Please read the follwing and then state it is alright to use one from the shore!

DO NOT - "broadcast messages intended for reception onshore

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/lic...ation/of19a.pdf

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/lic...ations/of18.pdf

Of course the coastgurd can trasmit from shore as they operate and have a Coastal Radio Station License.

Lets be clear on this as Kayakers need to be correct and safe!

Hi Gilbo :thumbs:

I have these documents on my pin board at work! Most of the content relates to radio telephony licences (I have this too!)and shouldn't be confused with vhf marine calling (including DSC calling) Have you actually read them???? The last one (5.1) mentions base station CSR's. These are licenses that can be obtained (upon payment of 20 odd quid) for a temp 28 day base station licence! Base stations are difinitely on land! Mine has been firmly fixed there well before radio was invented!. This includes handsets! and may include a kayaking event. This would be the completely legal way of making a quick call to shore (handheld) to tell your shore watch (the misses) you are safe and on the way home! The first document you refer to mentions broadcasting from shore as:

"you should not broadcast messages intended for reception onshore

This means the radio licence as above that you may purchase for 20 odd quid as above in your link and would be granted upon payment for such a kayaking event!. Do you have a dog? if so the appropriate licence is available at:

http://www.newtownabbey.gov.uk/dogs/licence.htm

Just joking about the dog licence by the way, they were abolished in 1985 :lol::clap2:

Hi Gilbo :thumbs:

I have these documents on my pin board at work! Most of the content relates to radio telephony licences (I have this too!)and shouldn't be confused with vhf marine calling (including DSC calling) Have you actually read them???? The last one (5.1) mentions base station CSR's. These are licenses that can be obtained (upon payment of 20 odd quid) for a temp 28 day base station licence! Base stations are difinitely on land! Mine has been firmly fixed there well before radio was invented!. This includes handsets! and may include a kayaking event. This would be the completely legal way of making a quick call to shore (handheld) to tell your shore watch (the misses) you are safe and on the way home! The first document you refer to mentions broadcasting from shore as:

"you should not broadcast messages intended for reception onshore

This means the radio licence as above that you may purchase for 20 odd quid as above in your link and would be granted upon payment for such a kayaking event!. Do you have a dog? if so the appropriate licence is available at:

http://www.newtownabbey.gov.uk/dogs/licence.htm

Just joking about the dog licence by the way, they were abolished in 1985 :lol::clap2:

I have read the documents and understand them, done the training and bought the t shirt also applied for and registered my radio set for which I have the license.

A base station CSR's is on land and can be difined as a portable piece of radio equipment. Its use has to be controlled and its location, frequency of use recorded. When used on land the VHF has a potential to cause interference to other equipment and that is why controls are in place. The need for a CSR licence covers Portables/ handhelds and major equipment with seperate antennas.

So you are agreeing that to transmit from a kayak you need a radio license and the appropriate Operators License? To transmit from land you also need a Coastal Radio License and the user should have an Operators License? Its well worth noting that a fine of up to £5000 can be applied for anyone breaking the rules.

In the earlier posts it was stated that it is alright to buy a wife /girlfriend a second VHF for chat from sea to shore. Yes they can as long as the wife / girlfriend has an operators license and a license for a CSR is also in place for that handset.

This is a public Forum and hence should not indicate that the above can be ignored.

It seems that there is a belief that you can do what ever with a VHF. Note - anyone who transmits and sends a message to their onshore partner could potentially block an Emergency Message being sent. It use must be kept to a minimum and the first post mentioned something like " sending messages onshore so the tea could be put on"!

If it was so simple as to buy a VHF and talk to whoever you want from land to sea, sea to land and land to land then hey no more phone bills! This is exactly why VHF licenses and competency is required.

If any kayaker feels that a VHF is an important peice of safety equipment then get the training and ensure you have the correct license in place.

I am in no doubt of your own use and training in VHF but cannot agree with you first post.

Wheeeeeweeee! :thumbs:

Chill gilbo, peace out :clap:

It wasn't about the licence, all agreed there, it was about transmitting to shore and you proved the point nicely, thank you.

Don't get offended mate, it wasn't aimed at you bud!.

Enjoy your fishing. :)

p.s. your kayak is probably the neatest job of outfitting out I have ever seen by the way. The piccies were really impressive. Don't forget to post some catch pics too mate :thumbs:

SDD~~~~~~ :sun: