Seven and a half hours, one fish and the one that got away!

Unimexsol

Went out this afternoon at about 2.30pm, fished in one spot for just over 3 hours without even a sniff of a bit, the water was a bit choppy too and I decided to move spots.

5 miles up the road through rush hour traffic :angry: and I get to the next spot.

I tried everything, slow sinking maggot, worm, caster, bread, the whole shebang. Nothing. Varied depths, baited regularly, Nada.

I also had a rod out for Pike with a half mackerel on a single hook. Eventually at about 8.30pm this got a take. Float dipped under and I struck, at first I thought I'd missed the bite but then whack the rod bent big time and I thought I was in with a good fish. The next second nothing, I retrieved and the bait was still there, but no Esox! I'm guessing that I struck a little too early and that the pike had just grabbed the bait and then let go.

Half an hour later, my float on my other rod finally went under and I caught what I think was a roach/bream hybrid. Roach colouration but shaped more like a bream. Not big but still worthwhile.

I packed up at 10pm, just as I was taking the pike rod down there was a massive swirl exactly where the pike float had been. I saw a lovely big pike right where my bait had been minutes earlier! It actually surfaced twice - I reckon it was just having a look to make sure that I was going.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow night, I'm taking son number 2 and I hope that we have more luck that last week when I took his brother!

Well, took my other son fishing today. Unfortunately it had clouded over a bit when we got to the spot and the temperature had dropped a bit so I wasn't expecting it to be a catch a chuck! I told my son this in an attempt to manage his expectations.

I got a few bites and managed to miss them all :( then he caught a little perch.

Using the perch as livebait we put out a rod for large perch/pike.

Didn't get a bite for ages, then my son popped into the bushes to have a wee. As soon as he went the pike float went! I managed to strike it and at first thought it might be a largish perch as it didn't seem to have the pull of a pike, however I was wrong and could see that it was in fact a small (2-3lb) jack pike. My son got back just in time to try and bring the pike in the last few yards. He did and all was going well right up until the moment I put the net down to land the fish. My son momentarily dipped the end of the rod and with a flick of his tail and a shake of his head Mr Jack Pike had released the bait.

He really enjoyed it though and has said that he will come again.

you sure them fish aint just takin the p**s, i'm sure you and your son will witness the BIG one :thumbs:

"I Feel Sorry For People Who Don't Drink.

When They Wake Up In The Morning,

That's As Good As They're Going To Feel All Day".

---------- Frank Sinatra ----------

I'm pretty sure that they are Myster. Still I can't blame them. As for him catching a BIG one, well, who knows what's going to take the bait on your next cast?

TBH, it'd probably help him to catch a few small Jacks first so that when he does hook into a biggun he'll know how to cope and what to do.