PVA stocking

Kappa

I use lots and lots of PVA stocking, last session I used over 14 metres! However I'm beggining to worry it melts before it hits the bottom of the lake! The lake in question is between 8 and 15 foot in the deeper places! Do I need to switch to PVA bags and double them? I was also thinking of dipping them in an oil such as hemp oil to slow the melting down?????

Rich

I use lots and lots of PVA stocking, last session I used over 14 metres! However I'm beggining to worry it melts before it hits the bottom of the lake! The lake in question is between 8 and 15 foot in the deeper places! Do I need to switch to PVA bags and double them? I was also thinking of dipping them in an oil such as hemp oil to slow the melting down?????

Rich

would it depend where it melts? If it is about four feet off the bottom would the hookbait not fall into/around the contents? You could do a test in water from the lake in question and time how long it takes to break down and compare that with how long (roughly) you think it takes to reach the bottom? Just a few thoughts!

"Life is much too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it."

I find if you rub your hands with some fish or vegetable oil before you handle the bags, you first of all, prevent the bag disintegrating before you even cast the thing and you also give the bag a few seconds to play with before it hits the bottom. I suppose you could store the bags in a little oil, in a small Tupperware or something too.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

would it depend where it melts? If it is about four feet off the bottom would the hookbait not fall into/around the contents? You could do a test in water from the lake in question and time how long it takes to break down and compare that with how long (roughly) you think it takes to reach the bottom? Just a few thoughts!

I've done a quick test and its pretty close! However i wonder whether the spped of the water moving over the bag helps to dissolve it. Ideally I don't want to ti break up until it is on the bottom!

Rich

Hi Rich, you could try a cheaper brand of PVA. I remember one brand I tried to use while winter carping a few years back, and in the cold water it refused to melt at all! I don't remember which brand it was though I'm afraid, or whether PVA has got generally better since then.

Oils will slow the breakdown, so you could try that. The other thing - if the bags are pellet-based - is to make up a load of bags way in advance and let the natural pellet oils seep into the PVA. This isn't much good with hemp or groundbait though as they'll dry out and float!

An alternative to bags and a soft hooklink would be a feeder and a stiffer hooklink (to prevent tangles)? Not quite the same thing though...

What about the solid bags? You can get them as a funnel (rather than the solid pre-made bags) and tie them the same as the stocking stuff. I used this at the lake we're fishing last year, and they work fine. Perhaps because there aren't any holes for the water to immediately attack it takes longer to break down? I remember thinking that I preferred the solid stuff, thinking about it...because it's a bit elastic you can tie nice tight packages.

I reckon that'll do the trick! I should have thought of that before really :rolleyes:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I tested the ESP stocking I usually use but haven't been able to get recently. The stick I made floated but took 1 minute to dissolve! I'm happy with that!

Rich