Newquay West wales Trip

Martin Hurst

It's just been sun holiday time and a car load set off on Monday morning , hursty just managing to fit the prowler on top and the minimum of tackle!! ;) Arrived in Newquay an hour before check in so nipped into the small town ( youngest convinced it was Balamory!) for a coffee.

p1010011.jpg

On the way back to the site Nifty comes charging over the hill with his prowler on top!! Over another cup of tea the local expert puts me straight on the fishing before heading back home ;D After an evening of Bradley Bear and Rory the Lion , i'm all set for a trip onto the inshore reef but the morning breaks with the sound of heavy rain on the tin roof >:(

Nevermind , a break in the clouds sees the eldest sprogg have a paddle in the bay which she thoroughly enjoys. I manage a few drops with feathers but to no avail

p1010004-2.jpg

Wednesday morning after more Bradley and co , and a couple of pitchers I sleep in !! Hit the water at around ten (forgetting my camera and sandwiches in my haste!!) and get in close to the reef and beach and quickly land two bass around 2lb on a shallow plug. Nothing for 30 more minutes so on go the feathers and its Pollocktime with some around the 1.75lb mark. The local charter boat joins me and he soon hits the Mackeral so I paddle over and ask if he minds me drifting by him and he's fine!! However , the radio bleeps and its the Harbour master on line. We are upsetting the luvies on the beach filming a hollywood blockbuster about Dylan Thomas , so can we move off the reef ???

I decide to call it a day as '' Wales is the land of my fathers. And my fathers can have it. ''

and land on the beach near the camera crews. Theres a storm warning as well and as we all know ''There is only one position for a Kayak angler anywhere; and that is upright. ''

Daughter joins me with camera hoping for a sneak preview and a peep of Kierra Knightly or sienna Millar!!

p1010002-1.jpg

p1010020.jpg

Managed to get quite close in and see these two locals frollicking on the beach!!

sienna2416.jpg

But the Private security chaps and the local Bobby soon put a stop to that!! Jumped back in the yak and paddled past them 20 yards out , disrupting their day for one last time. Daughter tells me she'll never get the autographs now but I leave her with the following thought

''When one burns one's bridges, what a very nice fire it makes. ''

So its back to camp , just in time for the post!!

p1010021.jpg

Edited by Martin Hurst

Ok Prowler 13

wouldn't mind catching one of them kiera or siennas :rolleyes:

great report Martin--very enjoyable read

see you soon at Topeland!

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

certainly will old mucker as soon as this weather abates! :thumbs: Would quite like a couple of days in Newquay fishing as theres some nice marks to explore given time and the bay is very sheltered in the prevailing SW winds . Stus gone back this weekend but he'll get very wet :mellow: £100 a day for the extras I was informed :rolleyes:

Ok Prowler 13

Very enjoyable read - I'm office bound at the mo but storing up the days for fishing hols.

Hope to see you in Tywyn soon :thumbs:

Prowler 13 in MANGO.

Sweeeeet.....:)

Kaskazi Dorado

comes with swimming pool as standard